[TR] Enchantments Ski Adventure 2006- Various 2/12/2006

DirtyHarry

Climb: Enchantments Ski Adventure 2006-Various

Date of Climb: 2/12/2006

Trip Report:

Me and various accomplices, Kat and Ryan from Ellensburg, and Scott from Cle Elum, set out Friday morning to ski the Enchantments. Got a snow-go tow from Scott up to Mtneers Crk TH, then skinned a couple hours up to the lake. Busted up to the top of Ass-guard Pass where we found a nice sheltered bivy. Conditions going up the pass were HARDPACK.

It got cold that night, but we slept pretty well with our tummy's full of Mountaineers Soup. The next day, after sleeping in, we skiied up onto the basin in brilliant sunshine and up above Broomhilda Lake to the col on top of Little Annapurna Crk, from where we had an excellent view of the south face of Prussik Peak, bathed in the glorious sunshine, which stood in all it glory, STILL AWAITING A WINTER ASCENT.

The sun had softened the south facing up pretty well, so we skiied down into Little Anapurna Crk with Boola Boola Buttress on the right and Little Annapurna on the left enjoying some bitchin corn turns for about 2000' down into the drainage.

Skinning up it was hot like James Brown Celebrity Hottub and we had to strip down to our underoos to make it out.

Once on the basin we skinned up and skiied down Enchantment Peak to camp. The next day, Sunday, Ass-guard Pass was like an icy groomer and the trees down to Mtneers Creek a heavy sun crust but not too bad. Then we had beers at the car and enjoyed the sunshine. Woot.

Our camera didn't work, but Ryan and Scott took some pictures.

Gear Notes:

skis and various accoutraments.

Approach Notes:

easy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. I'm jealous. Sure sounds better than my weekend.

Surprised that SF Prusik doesn't have a FWA. It's steep and south-facing, so it should be mostly snow-free, right? In the right winter conditions, it sounds like just a cold rockclimb. Maybe the burly hardmen prefer something a little icier, and the sportos have gone south to roost?

Yeah.

Now it seems to me that mixed climbing has evolved from making one or two moves on rock to link up icicles, to a sport practiced at the hardest levels entirely on rock with possibly a tiny little bit of ice. I think it's only accurate to state that ski mountaineering will evolve in a similar fashion and go from primarily turns and sidestepping with maybe one or two rappels, to a sport consisting of mostly rappelling with perhaps one or two turns. Yeah! cool.gif