Learning to Skin?

selkirk

Is it as easy at seems like it should be? I'm looking at trying to do an overnight trip and have the choice between skis/skins (though I still need to buy and trim the skins) or slowshoes. I'd rather skin but I've never done it before, and would have to screw around too much on the fly. Any thoughts or advice?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! It's pretty straight forward. It's only the first season I've been doing the Randonee thing and it has been really awesome. I will never use snowshoes again if I can help it, but I could see where if there was a lot of exposed brush, rocks, it could be pretty lame. I've been going out pretty consistantly for the last month and the only things that seem to give me problems is judging how steep of a slope I can skin up and doing kick turns without falling over.

I've figured a good technique for the kick turns and have been learning about the different slopes and what is the maximum steepness they'll work on. I would think it would be very dependant on the thickness of the skin and ski though along with your weight for determining that maximum, so it is probably varies from person to person.

Trying to get something together to go out this weekend and do an overnighter. thumbs_up.gif

We on for dry tooling this week?

Dude, it's a Mounties trip. You must have a PASS on your gradecard on skinning before you'll be allowed to participate.

Really, there's nothing to skinning. With good technique, you can skin up steeper slopes than someone with poor technique, but it won't be an issue this weekend.

Where more skill comes in is:

-turning a switchback elegantly

-skiing downhill with skins on

-being efficient with skins/bindings on/off transitions

But yeah, you should bring skiis.