New Inland Washington Guidebook?

rbwen

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the original posted question, your reponse Matt is the most accurate by far. laugh.gif

I don't know much more, but will spill what I do. Can't remember the title, but the guide will cover mostly crag climbs on basalt and granite in the greater Banks Lk area, plus some nearby alpine climbs. Climbs/routes not previously covered in other guides, many new, but certainly the book will not be nearly as big as a Beckey tome. Author is Rick LaBelle, publisher is Mountain Gear. Serious formatting issues have delayed the printing. I'll ask Rick for a more definitive answer, but won't be able to post until at least Friday. Meanwhile, if you're really hot to know, MGear could probably give you an answer during the business day.

Chimney Rock (Idaho) is not covered in this guide, and still needs to be updated since Randy Green's 1987 effort.

Cheers, Steve

Spoke with author and editor. "Rock Climbs of Central Washington" should be out on shelves this spring, hopefully in March. Alpine climbs will not be covered, but Banks Lake and nearby Central WA cragging areas will. Includes sport, trad, and mixed routes up to 3-4 pitches in length.

The author, friends who have helped, and especially the editor are taking great care to ensure a quality product. Interestingly, Falcon and the Mountaineers declined to publish this guide. Thanks to Mountain Gear for picking up the slack.

My personal opinion is that the guide will provide a great alternative for those of you who like to go weekend cragging and want to get away from the concentration of climbers at places like Frenchman Coulee. Many of the areas in the book have seen decades of climbing, but most of the routes are more recent, and eyes will be further opened to the potential of the central Columbia basin.

I don’t think the Banks Lake area will become another Vantage, for many reasons including its lack of proximity to the greater populations in the NW, and all the high-quality climbing areas we have to choose from. The quality of the columnar basalt upstream of FC is varied, and the underlying granitic gneiss exposed around Banks Lake and Northrup Canyon can be chossy. Climbers will have to be careful for loose rock features, especially until the newer routes see more traffic. Poison ivy and the occasional rattler need to be avoided.

All that said, the Banks Lake area has its own identity and is stunningly beautiful. The quality of the rock in Central WA can be excellent, and there are many stellar routes that are well worth the travel.

what an amazingly relevent post, something so rare it almost make you think it's a troll grin.gif

that is some good info pindude. sounds like a good weekend trip exploring some new areas. you don't make it sound like the rock quality is all that stellar, hopefully there are a few things worth the trip.

Ok, Ok, I'm sorry. The hilarity of calling a guidebook

"Rock Climbs of Central Washington"

and then centering on Banks Lank is on par with making a select classics guide of Exit 32 and then calling the book Cascade's Premier Rock Climbs.

Banks is good but it's a small drop in a big bucket.

Steve did hit on some great points tho,:

I don’t think the Banks Lake area will become another Vantage

It would be hard to suddenly become that chossy.

All that said, the Banks Lake area has its own identity and is stunningly beautiful.

Very true.

The quality of the rock in Central WA can be excellent, and there are many stellar routes that are well worth the travel.

Very, very true.

I'm still laughing about the title tho.

smile.gif