Hood Backcountry, 2 caught in slide, No Injures

Mr_D

Skinned up the ridge between Heather Canyon and Newton Creek on Sunday 1/15/06. Skinned up to about 6,000' then skied the North slope down into Newton Creek. On the skin back up 2 members of the party were caught in a slide. No injuries, but 1 member lost both poles and both skis. Poles and 1 ski easily recovered, but 1 ski still missing.

Prior to skiing the slope we dug a pit and found a weak layer approx 24" down. The slope is northfacing and heavily wind loaded. We made the decision to not ski the slope and instead skied the trees. However, on the ascent the members involved accidentily skinnned too far into the suspect slope due to lack of visbility.

Take care in the Backcountry.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this cautionary tale, Mr. D.

Anyone with more avy. training/assessment skills than me want to respond to a general question about skiing trees vs. open slopes?

My understanding is that trees on suspect slopes can provide a false sense of security -- in other words, if the trees are widely spaced enough to ski through, they're probably not anchoring the slope as well as one might assume?

I know this question is wide open and subjective, and different snowpacks could provide a myriad of different answers -- but I'm looking for a "rule of thumb" or just confirmation that trees don't always equal an adequate snowpack anchor.....

- Also, Glad that you and your party is okay, Mr. D!

Good point and question. We made the decision that the trees were safer due to the fact that the slope angle was slightly less, there were a substantial number of trees, and the snow was not nearly as wind affected. And, let's be honest, the snow was better for skiing with less of a crust.

Open for thoughts.

Clearly Mr. D is sketchy! What is this, 2 for 2 now? smile.gif

In some avalanche courses you will be told if the trees are skiable, it can slide there. However, what is skiable is subjective. Trees do not always equal safety. However, a big stand of old trees can indicate they do not see much activity. Practical experience shows that skiing trees is usually safer than skiing a wide open, wind-loaded bowl such as upper Newton Creek. The base of Newton Creek is filled with dinky little trees and broken big ones, suggesting the slope releases frequently. It's essentially Heather Canyon w/o avalanche control.

edit to add: the trees at Newton are incredibly good. cheeburga_ron.gif

I think another thing to think about is trauma when sneaking thru the trees. Not only do the trees need to be closely spaced for any significant anchoring to occur, but if the slide does come pouring thru the trees you will get broken into little tiny pieces much quicker. 1/3 of folks caught in slides are done just from trauma.

That aspect is notorious. I know several people who have witnessed slides over there. One was skinning up and had someone else cut loose a slide above them. He fell over trying to rip his skins to get away and had to lay there flailing as the slide rolled up and stopped 10 feet away.

"MT HOOD AREA-

Considerable avalanche danger above 6000 feet and moderate below

early Sunday. Decreasing danger becoming moderate below 7000 feet

Sunday afternoon through Sunday night. Significantly increasing

danger Monday becoming considerable below 7000 feet. Further

increasing danger Monday afternoon and night becoming high below

7000 feet. "

NWAC

I have seen slides in the trees, but have seen more slides in the open glades. In some conditions the trees are safer than the open slopes, but when the snow wants to go, then even the trees are no help. Also, trees can hurt you if they are threatened by a big slide from above. There is no alternative to evaluating every run on it's own terms.

I was caught in a small sluff while skiing Meadows Friday. took a little break below cliffs heading to yoda bowl to size up conditions in the bowl and the cliff released above me. Went over my head and took me about 15 feet, had me hyper ventillating like a junior high kid on his first date. I wasn't poaching either the private reserve had just been opened and it was our second pass thru. first time in 30 years of skiing