New climber

rh88skate

New to the sport of climbing. Backpacker looking to go further, interested in climbing outside the gym, Portland Rock Gym, also interested in alpining. Trying to break into the sport I guess, not content with just backpacking want to summit mountains. Any advise, help, people interested in linking up, etc etc etc...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to PDX! wave.gif

You're off to a good start posting here... You can use the climbing partner forum to recruit partners for your next trip and this forum to post any questions you have as you get into climbing.

A great way to connect with people is to get out... the PRG is one option... come down to the circuit bouldering gym also! You should bump into some climbers there... likely most of the people there are more interested in rock climbing climbing and bouldering so if you want to find a fellow alpinist look for someone having a hard time on the warm up problems and have a bunch of cordage hanging off their harness yellaf.gifblush.gifyellaf.gif

Finally come to PDX events and if you can make the drive SEA events also!

Next up in Portland: Slide Show

Also a bunch of us have a weekly climb night year round at Rocky Butte (NE Portland). Look for updates of when/where we will be here: PDX climb thread

Hope this helps! wave.gifwazzup.gifyoda.gifbigdrink.gif

That is the nicest welcoming to CC.COM I have ever seen. cry.gif

Usually there are a few backhands and a snub or two.

Good advice and here is more.

The most dangerous time in a climber's carreer is when he/she starts leading climbs. If you get hooked up with a new leader, you could go down with his/her shot at glory.

New leaders are not all glory hounds by any stretch. Just watch out for the bravado. Be wary of people who BRAG about taking "whippers" and "long runouts".

Learn your knots well enough to tie them with your eyes closed. Figure 8, Ring bend/water knot, Double fisherman's.

Everything else will best be learned on the rock.

Be careful! bigdrink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
I would say to just go out and start hitting up mountains.. (well that's how it was it colorado- you could do 14ers that were walk-ups and graduate to harder more technical climbs)..

as for the cascades.....

For the Cascades the same thing applies. There are plenty of walkups and as comfort and skills grow there are always more challenging objectives.

I would say to just go out and start hitting up mountains.. (well that's how it was it colorado- you could do 14ers that were walk-ups and graduate to harder more technical climbs)..

as for the cascades.....

You're telling this to a total noob. A lot of us started out that way and are just plain lucky we're still around. It took my roommate getting hit with a rock to wake me up. Why not stack the odds in your favor, read a book, find a mentor, or get some training... jeesh.