baker?

Fence_Sitter

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We get this every year. "Is the Coleman-Demming route still open?" ... "No way - my friend's sister-in-law turned back at 8,500' last week because it was totally blocked by a big crevasse." ... "Yeah, but I climbed it with only ski poles. It is casual, dude."

The answer to your question depends on you. It has been several seasons since I've been there at this time of the year, and my last mid-season trip led me to conclude that the Coleman has opened up somewhat over the years, but I have climbed both the Coleman-Demming and the North Ridge in October/November, and had absolutely no problem either time. (We did not have to climb down into and back out of any crevasses, though there were some rather interesting "bridges.") Even with no current information of any kind, I bet there is not more than one or two troublesome crevasses and, if you are in fact able to to "climb up and down ice," probably not even that.

Be aware, though, that this is perhaps the most dangerous time of the year for crevasse falls. Fresh snowbridges, unstable weather (and likely poor visibility), coupled with short daylight ...

Climbed the Coleman-Deming Sat. and was in pretty good condition. We left the trailhead at 6:30am and summited at 1:00pm. Above heliotrope the shrund is pretty big and you traverse right on the bottom lip of it. At about 8500' there are a few snow bridges to cross and they are very solid. Right after you pass underneath Colfax there is 50-60 degree serac (if you want to call it that) that you must climb over (~15 vertical feet)and then traverse a thin snow ridge for ~100 feet. The Roman Wall is water ice covered with rime ice at about 10'000'. One can easily traverse over to the Easton and up for an easier ascent to the summit. The entire route is very straight forward and is hard ice/snow. Didn't use a rope and at the top it was clear and no wind. This trip definately made up for the previous weekend of getting to the Col and turning around in a blizzard. There is some nice steep water ice setting up near heliotrope and higher on the mountain too. [Wazzup]

I soloed the Coleman Headwall a couple weeks ago. It was solid. There were the expected crevasses and schrunds to negotiate but not too bad when you fully expect it. One day trip car to car. Having good weather helped out too. The coleman was a breeze to come down. I planned to and succeeded in missing the first larger snowfalls, however, there is now new snow, how much I do not know.

When I climbed the north ridge at this time of year it was not really any more difficult than when I climbed it mid-season a few years later. In the Fall, there was an approach pitch on 35 degree ice that was mostly snow midsummer, but the steeper pitch was just about the same. Like Chips said, most crevasses or 'schrunds are not all that much of a problem if you are expecting them (just don't let one sneak up from behind and pounce on your neck) and there were none of any terrible consequence on the North Ridge.