The Joy of Projects

Dru

I have had one particular project since July, when I scrubbed it. At the time I was unable to successfully top-rope the crux moves.

Second go-round on it was August when I worked it for another day. This time I could top-rope the moves but couldn't link it together. I had hoped to bolt it then but after drilling two bolts my drill ranout of juice.

Now several months later, and still with this thing simmering in the back of mind - a perfect, sunny, cold fall day - I head out there again. Solo up the 5.6 next to it and drop a rope down. A little bit of brushing on the way down to clean off accumulated dirt and needles that have trickled down from above. At the bottom I put on my shoes and squeak the soles clean. Lock the Ushba on the rope and go. And this time it comes easily and I climb it no falls. Cold, sunny day with good friction. The moves I had been thinking about for months worked like I had planned. All is good.

Of course it turned out that my drill battery is now fucked and it won't take a charge so it will probably be another few months before I get the rig bolted and sent!

But this post is simply a paean in praise of having a project. They feel so good when they get done laugh.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes oh yes...and those missing micrograms of metal have DRASTICALLY reduced the section strength of said hexes...

now scurry off and recalculate the new bending/torque/shear capacities to see if they will hold the anchor knots that you will be tying just like in fig 12.a, page 43 of the FreedomoftheHills volume 52...