S. Side Hood/ Wyeast

macmurtb

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran up today... it felt like June (so much that PMR was even out looking for a lost climber yellaf.gif) except for the fact that the pearl gates are currently sporting a 2-3 foot crown... avy is sketchy from hogs back up through the gates. If you do a north side route you should be okay though rapping off a picket might be in order. Not sure if I would recommend topping out from the south side considering snow pack conditions... but if you are willing to risk your life for an ascent of the south side of hood your call wave.gif

Other hood notes: I rock looks like it did 3 weeks ago... little to no snow (though the north side looked blasted... hard to tell).

Premium KORN to be had today... it was 60 degrees at tline at 1 pm hellno3d.gif

Ran up today...

Premium KORN to be had today...

It must have been an awesome hike down that sweet corn.

Jus' kidding, good to see folks out there today.

I rather hike corn than ski ice cantfocus.gif

I kept asking everyone "where is iain?" yet I still managed to miss you cry.gif good work up there btw... hope it isn't a preview for this weekend on the north face pitty.gif

So going down the south side is safe but going up is not? That doesn't really make sense. Or are you just saying it would be a bitch to climb over a 3 foot avy crown and dangerous to go around to, for example, the west crater considering avy conditions. Since the pearly gates have, presumably (since there is a crown), already slid it should be relatively safe there, no? Of course this does not consider the other terrain. Am I making sense? Okay, final clarification - is it a crown or just a fracture?

Partial slide yesterday but it sounds like it is safe now/slid completely as Ivan and friends climbed it. See his TR.

It makes sense because the south side is a lower angle up to the hogsback and then the hogs back is at a steeper angle allowing it (and the old chute) to slide.

Partial crown below pearly gates and old chute when I went. Ask Ivan what he found.