Alpinism Dead?

David Trippett

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is early in the morning so ‘cuse me for pulling this out my ass.

I’ll postulate that he’s lamenting the end of the heroic age of human endeavor where man largely by his wits and his physical ability is pitted against the titanic phenomenon of nature. Following this age of ‘giants’, marked once by man, naked, ‘cept for his genetically endowed and individually developed abilities is a technological man, a cyborg, a hybrid of a physical being merged together with his technological creations that reach beyond mere mortal man with his limitations of physical senses and imagination. That technology might be as simple as an oxygen canister or sophisticated as satellite phones and GPS.

The realm of the few has been opened up to the masses. The herd is coming with their oxygen and fixed ropes. All that’s left is to capitalize on our innate desire and if that desire isn’t there, then to manufacture it through public relations. With the help of modern technology and the development of future technologies, we will commodify the experience. Do you have enough money to blast off into space?

If thats what came out of your ass, do you mind if I have a closer look around in there. I could not agree with you more. The thing is that we do not have to blindly follow the teknotracks of these wankers but these endevours can still be ours under any terms we choose. Not that I want to set out with nought but a cedar bark outfit or anything but there is an indiviual line that we all draw, and deep inside we know what the difference is.

What can we newcomers do to truly emulate the footsteps of the pioneers when we were born after the age of the most fantastic dicoverys?

First world society has become too soft. Everything is so much spoonfed, homogenzied, prepackaged crap nowadays. Liability issues have tarnished the luster of adventure.

I read an interesting quote from one the early British Everest expeditions: "We were prepared to risk our lives. We were not prepared however to simply throw it away."

How different it is today. Messner was fortunate to be able to live in that first age of exploration. To expand the boundaries of first imagination, then of accomplishment.

But who is to say that Annabelle Bond has less right to stand on the summit than Sir Edmund?

Are sat phones and GPS just a logical progression in safety like crampons are over hob nailed boots?

Those of us who are true to ourselves and really, really miss the rocks and ice if we're away from them even for a short time will be the ones who will keep the life in alpinism after the masses think it's too blase' to care about.

But who is to say that Annabelle Bond has less right to stand on the summit than Sir Edmund?

I don't think Messner said that; merely that the sport as widely practiced is different than it was.

It does seem a different era. There are far more parties with money, skill, and desire, but no creativity than there were previously. How 11 different parties will fly to Patagonia to wait in line at the base of the Compressor route when their are hundreds of other lines to be climbed nearby, many unclimbed or rarely climbed.