seeking beta on japan- biking and Fuji Nov-Dec?

crazy_t

Hi climbers-sans. I and a couple of friends are considering a week long trip to Japan at the end of Nov. The plan is to fly into Tokyo with bikes, take a train to a cool location on the coast (Northern side looking good so far) then spending 3 or 4 days riding and staying in guesthouses to the base of Fuji. Then climbing it, returning to the bikes, then back to Tokyo and back here. I'm having trouble finding good info on recommended routes for biking, as well as conditions on the mountain at that time. If anyone has any experience, resources, or contacts that would be helpful I'd really appreciate it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather will likely suck, and the mountain will be "closed." Dunno if you'll need a special permit. Imagine climbing S side of Adams at this time of year. Your challenge will be finding instructions/descriptions for going up Fuji for *climbers*, not yahoos.

I'm sure there's good biking between the mountain villages, though you may not be able to do a Kropp-style trip.

Weather-wise, Nov-Dec is a great time of year for visiting Japan, at least on the main island of Honshu. I don't know of anybody to ask for a route or general advice, although you might look for someone at the International Adventure Club (IAC)(http://www.iac-tokyo.org/) or maybe someone at http://www.japancycling.org/v2/, that is, unless you have already checked those places.

Biking in mountain villages and on empty roads can be fun, but avoid main roads. Drivers in Japan do not have much consideration for bikers. (Cars will whiz by you, seemingly just centimeters away. Once, when I was riding along a two-lane road, a car passed me on my right side and then proceeded to make a left turn before getting in front - we collided, and luckily I escaped injury. I suspect that drivers here think of bikers as stationary objects.)

I don't know anything about ascending Mt. Fuji, except that Nov-Dec is not within the "climbing season", which to me suggests that it would be ideal unless one happens to like company.

Jon

Edited by JonNelson

this is one possible place to get info though it's not so much a mountaineering forum. the ideal time to climb seems to be in spring before the volcano officially opens (just avoid the fuzz). in season consists of long lines! but nov/dec conditions will be as unpredictable and nasty as any tall peak in the cascades at the same time. do not take a winter fuji ascent lightly!!! if you find a japan mountaineering / backcountry riding forum please pm me!

-r

Lots of good hostels, though they close for x-mass/new yrs.

Fujiyama is a seasonal tourist attraction. Think ghost towns. Weather will likely be wet and variable w/ temps fluctuating arround freezing. The mountain is skiable (in weather windows) by New Yrs. Outside of hotles everything is very expensive. 7-11's sell nice hot cheap "hum-bow" or "bow-tzu" - if forget the japanese name.

I suspect the locals will be less likely to think you are wierd or dangerous if you dress as a team in matching bright reflective outfits. Bring some loud air-horns and re-fill cartiges. Less trafficked rds will be a life saver. I hope you can find one.

Remember roadside shoulders are only a USA (and mabey European) phenomenon.

Logistics will be 10 times easier if you go climbing or biking, not both.

Getting bikes through train stations and subways are a major hasltle. Consider shipping them to your rd head.

Find any good bike/ climb/ or weather sites for Japan?

If I were to do annother off season trip to Japan, I would make more of an effort to visit local festivals. They tend to be very unique. I can bike and climb in the rain here for much less expense and trouble.

Thanks for the great input so far, guys. A lot of my concerns are mirrored by your input, mainly shitty weather (I can deal with bad conditions but like to avoid them if it's easy to), and logistical challenges, esp. with a bike/climb combo in offseason. Although no crowds and a mountain in a more natural state are appealing. Still thinking about it. Haven't been to Japan yet, and have had a "yen" (sorry for the pun) to go for a while, and definitely have been eyeing Hokkaido backcountry scene. Any more advice, keep it coming!

When the mountain is "closed," you're supposed to get a permit from the local police. Also, weather may be an issue: Fuji gets very windy, and can thus be pretty icy. I was there last November and wanted to climb it, but frigid temperatures, a fresh foot of snow, and 80 kmh winds dissuaded me to go solo. You'll also need to plan for being able to take a cab and arrange for a pickup since buses will probably not run up to where you want to start from.

I got a couple topos of Mt Fuji in a climbing shop in Tokyo, and you're welcome to take a peek.

If conditions are good, the climb should be uneventful. It's like Adams in a way. There is no difficulty (winter may change that a little), and that is one of the reasons why there's a Japanese saying that says that only fools climb Fujiyama twice. Still, I wouldn't mind doing it once, and not surrounded by 5,000 tourists smile.gif

Have a fun trip.

drC

Biking in mountain villages and on empty roads can be fun, but avoid main roads. Drivers in Japan do not have much consideration for bikers. (Cars will whiz by you, seemingly just centimeters away. Once, when I was riding along a two-lane road, a car passed me on my right side and then proceeded to make a left turn before getting in front - we collided, and luckily I escaped injury. I suspect that drivers here think of bikers as stationary objects.)

Also remember that folks drive on the left side of the road (and are sitting on the right sides of their cars), so your natural instincts will be off. Almost got me in a bad wreck on a major road in England.

I'm a bit perplexed that some people think Nov-Dec have terrible weather, by which I suppose they mean rainy or cloudy. Perhaps the weather on Fuji is wetter or cloudier at that time of year, but I wouldn't know. However, away from the mountain at least, the conditions are relatively dry, not too cold, and relatively sunny from mid Oct. through Dec. I think it is the absolute best time of year for outdoor activities on Honshu (other times are either rainy, hot, humid, or some combination of these). Check out the climate statistics from the Japanese Meteorological Agency at http://www.data.kishou.go.jp/normal-e/normal-e.html, and you'll see what I mean.

Jon

I'm speaking strictly about the weather on the mountain, but I have only been in Japan in March, and I have never been on the mountain.

I'll again stress the importance on talking to some climbers over there -- folks die on Fuji in the summer, so any literature intended for the general public is going to make it sound impossibly dangerous in the winter.