La sportiva Nepals for Mckinley?

suckbm

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agree with alex. If the nepal or nepal extremes were acceptable up there, you would see more people wearing them. But I have seen lots of frostbite toes from people wearing GOOD plastic with overboots. You think any leather boot can compare to a good plastic? I think not. Even the scarpa alpha boot is a bit lacking in insulation

Get a pair of plastic that fit your foot and has a good liner. A good plastic boot will cost something around $300. That is only $30 per toe. Cheap. Don't skimp money on important things, like anything imperitive to your existence.

Hillary may have gotten up everest with shitty boots but he might have had excellant weather. You probably will not on Denali. (locals call McKinley by its indian name, Denali) Many Everest summiters were shocked by how much more brutal Denali is than Everest. Please, do not underestimate Denali. People of all expereince die every year up there.

Plus, from someone who spends weeks in the hills, leathers have a hard time drying out when compared to plastic liners which are pulled out of the shells. Weeks of sweat will drentch the leathers and make you more suseptible to frostbite and trench foot.

Don't get me wrong about leathers. I wear them a lot but they have their place and don't belong in some places.

gene

good money smart option: buy some old plastics from 2nd ascent for CHEAP and then go to FF for some intuition liners. WARM and COMFY!!

This is a very good way to go. I've got an old pair of Lowa Denalis with Intuition liners fitted by a guy at Marmot. Zero heel lift and toasty to -40°.