Via Ferrata in Utah

kurthicks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was able to go up the Via Ferrata routes, and ended up with my picture in the local paper. I walked up the trail to the training wall with Jeff Lowe and was able to learn quite a bit about what they are doing.

Jeff along with the landowner are working on what they are calling the "Waterfall Canyon Climbing Park" this are includes the Via Ferrata Routes (currently 3) along with soon to be developed sport routes and -possibly- ice climbing routes. They plan to experiment with ice farming this fall by piping some water from the waterfall (on the south facing slope) to the north slope. I believe that money made from the Via Ferrata routes is intended to supplement the ice climbing activities and sport climbing development that will remain free attractions.

The Via Ferrata was quite fun. The routes were designed by Jeff Lowe. The Ferrata ladders and cables are artfully placed, making it a fun "hike" that will be sure to give non-climbers a good thrill on the vertical trails (as Jeff called them).

It was fun to talk with Jeff, and interesting to learn that the Waterfall in the canyon was the first waterfall that he ever climbed and where he was introduced by his brother Greg to that style of ice climbing.

I saw him at Index in the mid 1980's. Always looking for an opportunity to promote his name and the crap he sells, Jeff climbed a 5.9 (think it was Sagitarius) with a rack that consisted of nearly all tri-cams. And he struggled with 5.9. I thought, "That guy looks like he could use a few SLCD's right now. He's spooked."

But whatever. One guy enjoys clipping up a trail of bolts, one guy has fun on the via ferrata. I know some folks who would enjoy riding a gondola to the top of the Chief. If you want to trash the hills with this garbage, just don't confuse these activities with mountaineering.