Condition's at Convention Center

alipneH

Why do people expect help from the government? Well, they pay a bunch of taxes and are told they pay for things like FEMA. We have a long history of the government doing things for people, in case you missed that somehow, and a long history of people, rich and poor, expecting the powerful government to help them. You profit every day from the existence of the government.

Perhaps (pure speculation, since none of us know anyone there, I'd guess) no one in Niger expects the government to help because they have no history of doing so. And no money.

We have a hugely rich country. Of course we should help improve our lives with that money.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you pay your taxes, it is not your money anymore. Thinking that way leads to the very sense of entitlement that people don't like. And, it leads some individuals to think that they should only have to pay taxes for the things they support and ignore the rest. Your tax money goes into the government coffers and *ideally* should then go to those programs, projects, and people who need it. And you are right that people in dire straits should expect help. Not just b/c of taxes, money, programs, etc; but because it is the most natural human response that someone in need should see.

How come the estimated 2 million people in Niger do not complain about help lack of help or, "Where's the government?"

How come when I watched the results of the tsunami, I never saw anyone complaining about lack of help or asking, "Where's the government?"

Because you never asked them. Because you don't speak the same language. Because, ah fuck, it's not even worth it anymore. You honestly think the US and Europe are the only places in the world where people believe the government should fix things? Travel, talk to people. Get a fucking clue.

Actually, I do know a little bit. My next door neighbor works for World Vision. He has been to Niger recently, he has been to western Sudan recently. He goes about 2 weeks once every three months to these distressed areas. Part of his job. Helping out with the relief. He also is perplexed by the people who feel entitled in New Orleans. I expressed my concerns to him, and he said he felt for the people, but he did not understand why so many stayed in a hurricane path when they were ordered to leave. Maybe he was just trying to agree with me becuase I am a neighbor?

Many of the refugees go to where there is aid. Many of the refugees leave their area becuase of being shot at...possible genocide, and conditions in the areas in Niger had received no rain for an extended period of time.

But also pointed out, none of the people complain....they are all very thankful for the aid they do receive. Then again, these people do not pay taxes either. No real monetary system set up, just a lot of subsistence living.

Once you pay your taxes, it is not your money anymore. Thinking that way leads to the very sense of entitlement that people don't like. And, it leads some individuals to think that they should only have to pay taxes for the things they support and ignore the rest. Your tax money goes into the government coffers and *ideally* should then go to those programs, projects, and people who need it. And you are right that people in dire straits should expect help. Not just b/c of taxes, money, programs, etc; but because it is the most natural human response that someone in need should see.

I like that. I would like people to help out others. I think it is a great human response. In fact we have donated to the Red Cross recently for Hurricane Katrina....then again, it is up to the Red Cross how to spend the money.

I do not like the assumption however that some make thay should receive help. "Should" is a very powerful word and is closely associated with "entitlement".

Name calling is a part of spray and by resorting to name calling I merely stooped to your level of spray.

Your writing is poorly spelled and grammatically incorrect. And even if you did spell correctly and use proper grammar, the cadence and style of your writing are so lacking that I don't believe you're capable of communicating a coherent thought.

In conclusion, you're dumb. Enjoy your righteous indignation at the suffering, I'm sure it wins you lots of friends. the_finger.gif

Main Entry: ca·dence

Pronunciation: 'kA-d&n(t)s

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old Italian cadenza, from cadere to fall, from Latin -- more at CHANCE

1 a : a rhythmic sequence or flow of sounds in language b : the beat, time, or measure of rhythmical motion or activity

2 a : a falling inflection of the voice b : a concluding and usually falling strain; specifically : a musical chord sequence moving to a harmonic close or point of rest and giving the sense of harmonic completion

3 : the modulated and rhythmic recurrence of a sound especially in nature

Oh well. Read; oratory from your own definition. I've never heard the word used to describe writing. And that still doesn't excuse his butchery of your/you're. That's, like, fourth grade... and all the while beating up Stefan for the same. yelrotflmao.gif

Name calling is a part of spray and by resorting to name calling I merely stooped to your level of spray.

Your writing is poorly spelled and grammatically incorrect. And even if you did spell correctly and use proper grammar, the cadence and style of your writing are so lacking that I don't believe you're capable of communicating a coherent thought.

In conclusion, you're dumb. Enjoy your righteous indignation at the suffering, I'm sure it wins you lots of friends. the_finger.gif

thanks! smile.gif