Looking for information on routes to Boston Basin

markbuddy

Hello all, I will be heading to Seattle next month (September) and was wondering on how to get to Shark Fin tower or near there with only some hiking experience. I would like to get as close as I can to the shark Fin without any technical stuff needed, that was where my best friend was killed last month. If anyone could tell me some routes or ways to get there. I have no problem camping out, i have several days to do this. Please help.

thanks all

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Interstate 5 in Burlington take WA 20 (North Cascades Highway) towards Sedro Woolley. Drive 47 miles to Marblemount and then get off on the Cascade River Road. Take this for 22 miles to a turnout (elevation 3,200 feet) beneath the impressive Northeast Face of Johannesburg Mountain.

Follow the climbers trail (originally a road to the Diamond Mine .75 miles above) to the vicinity of the mine site and then traverse open slopes. The climber’s trail is wiped out due to a large avalanche slide from Spring 2002. Continue North for approximately a half mile and cross four streams. A switchback trail leads to a moraine at 5,300 feet where multiple campsites and a compost toilet are located. a second camping area is located at 6,400 feet but remains snow covered until later in season.

Permits are required for overnight trips in the North Cascades National Park. For information call the National Park Service Ranger Station for the North Cascades National Park in Marblemount (360)873-4500.

The standard climber's access trail from near Cascade Pass TH and described in many guidebooks should work fine for you. It has an avalanche debris crossing and is rougher than maintained hiking trails but should be okay for a moderate hiker. Once in Boston Basin, the glacier access to the couloir to Sharkfin Tower can be hiked in boots if done when the snow is soft. Things get technical at that point but you are close to the accident scene. You will need a permit to camp in Boston Basin. Condolences on your loss.

I am truly sorry for your loss; I assume you're aware of the discussions of the accident that occurred on here.

That said, it is a stunningly beautiful area. If you don't plan on spending a night there, you'll regret it once you're up there.

(I'd attach a photo, but I've never been able to take a picture of that area that half does it justice.)