BD Venom ice axe

rhyang

Have the 57cm set. Adze with classic. Hammer with tech. Very versatile and relatively lightweight (20 oz w/leash). Comfortable for piolet canne. Swing well. Have used them on 50-70 deg alpine ice/snow. Haven't tried them yet on WI, but think they would fare well. Overall, think they are a great set of alpine tools.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif That's exactly what I was looking at them for, and the feedback I wanted!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one, used it a few times. It's very comfortable, with the curved shaft and adze.

Classic pick works OK on easy ice. I've whacked it into rock a few times and it's still holding up well. So far the rubber is holding up pretty well around the base of the shaft.

I just got the 50 cm hammer with Tech pick as a second/third tool. Will use it next week, but it seems like a nice axe. It is light and has good balance. I saw the Grivel Pamir and Air Tech Evo mentioned earlier. I have both, and the Venom is like neither.

The Pamir is a standard B-rated mountain axe for self arrest and balance. The Evo is a T-rated axe mountaineering axe that can be used for some ice. The Venom is modular and B-rated. BD intentionally put a B-pick on it because that is what a lot of people want. There are other modular technical axes that come with a B pick, so that is not an unusual thing.

I own the Grivel Evolution - equivalent to the Venom, and paired it with a Grivel AlpLight hammer. I was able to climb with North Couloir on North Peak in the Sierras (solid AI3) with no problem. Its a great pairing if you know you have to do some glacier travel and some low technical ice. Other routes I'd tackle with these tools: the North Ridge and Coleman Headwalls on Mt. Baker in late conditions, Liberty Ridge on Rainier.