why?

whirlwind

is it that the more i work the less money i have to go climbing with and when i'm pretty much broke and not working i can always find a way to get climbing? it makes no sence to me, this is the first summer that i have been employed and this summer i have climbed less than the previus 3 or 4 of being broke and jobless.

fing sucks balls madgo_ron.gif maybe i should go back to living in my van and forging for food hellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Postulating... with a regular job, you will tend to have more responsibilities that will take more of your money (permanent lodging, utility bills, clothing for the job, etc.). Dirtbagging entails only needing to find/make/steal enough money to eat, put fuel in the vehicle, and any maintenance the vehicle may require to get you from climbing mecca to climbing mecca. So you only work enough to feed the climbing habit, whereas with having a regular job, you’re still required to pay for the habit, and all the other shit that goes along with having the job.

After I quit college the first time in 1979, I jumped on my 750cc and toured the US from Washington DC to Daytona Beach, to Bourbon Street, to Houston, to the Grand Canyon, to LA, to Crater Lake, and back to Texas. After I finished college (the second time), I dirtbagged it from Virginia Tech to Looking Glass (NC), to Red River Gorge, to St. Louis, to RMNP, to Eldo Canyon, to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, to Little Cottonwood Canyon, to the Cascades. I left home with no money on both trips, working as needed along the way. Climbed more shit than I can ever hope to remember, and learned how to take a shower in a gallon of water. Now, with a regular job (and a family), it’s a rare day that I can get out and have that kind of fun.

Case in point: Here I am, on a beautiful late summer Saturday afternoon, sitting at home spraying while everyone else (yourself excluded, apparently) is out climbing. rolleyes.gif