Getting the stink out

mobygrape

I have several polypro/coolmax type wicking t-shirts I regularly wear climbing and skiing, and some of them have developed an entirely unhealthy odor. I understand that synthetics don't clean up as well as natural fabrics like cotton or wool, but is there a certain type of soap that can be used to get these smelling "mountain fresh" again?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is that you can't wash/dry your symthetics hot enough to kill the bacteria or the fabric will melt. so you have to do something else to kill off the odor-causing bacteria.

try 1) soaking it with rubbing alcohol or Lysol

2) put it in a plastic bag so it doesn't stink up the freezer and freeze it for a week

3) after washing it, don't airdry it inside but line dry it in a sunny spot for a few days and see if the bright UV will help

4) microwave it and kill off the little bastard bacteria that way

5) if microwaves won't work, try an X ray machine, like at your dentist office.

6) go to hanford and nuke the fucker with some gamma rays!

Freezing would definitely not kill bacteria. Bleach would kill bacteria, but might damage the fabric. You'd have to study the label and decide. My guess is that the stink is not from bacteria on the fabric but rather they byproducts of bacteria that are on your skin. The oils turn rancid and horrible-smelling aldehydes are formed. Because the fabric is hydrophobic, it sucks up these compounds and holds onto them tenaciously.

Use laundry soap to remove organic material; oils, food, grass stains, etc. (like shown in the commercials).

Then add vinegar (acetic acid) to the rinse cycle to remove minerals; sweat salts, dirt, etc.. Add it to the little cup for the rinse cycle like you would bleach.

Partners will thank you.

chris