Franchisees? Anyone here own one?

willstrickland

Ya know, I wish there had been a course in high school about this sort of crap that I (and the rest of you, by the looks of it) have learned the hard way.

I have said exactly this a million + times. Makes me want to volunteer and teach a class. I don't know if kids would be interested though. Economics was one of my very favorite classes in high school (I was lucky and went to a great hs with an intense focus on challenging students). Even so, personal finances were not taught as a part of the curriculum.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The frequency with which you change employment and residency can have an adverse impact on your credit score. Also any judgments from litigation (whether consumer related, personal injury or divorce--alimony, child support etc.) will show.

I'd be willing to bet money that the banking industry would put the brakes on any efforts at teaching personal finance in public schools.

Wait a minute...why would does this policy suck? Think about it from your business owner point of view (we did start this thread with that view, right?): would YOU want to give money to someone who changed jobs/residences a whole bunch? And don't tell me, sure, if they paid all their debt; because 1. those traits usually do not co-occur, and 2. when they do, the money is sometimes ill-gotten gains (like Daddy has been paying the bills up til now).

I get this magazine every month. I have stopped reading it b/c it is mostly full of blow-smoke-up-yer-ass happy horseshit.

Not to say you didn't point out a good article--I haven't looked at it.

PS I also get the WSJ, Business Week, the Puget Sound Business Journal, and other bus mags that I do think are good--so I am not trying to be a big old sourpuss here. crazy.gif

Sobo, I will disagree with you that keeping CC open with zero balances will hurt your credit score. As long as you don't have 5 or 6 cards open with zero balances, leaving a cc or 2 open while carrying a zero balance proves to a lender that you have the ability to manage credit and will reflect positively on your score. For example, my parents opened a credit card in my name when I was 10 years old to build my credit so that by the time I was responsible enough to have my own credit card, I would be blessed with a higher credit score and lower interest. They carried a zero balance on it the entire time and my credit score increased during that period of time.

Sobo, I will disagree with you that keeping CC open with zero balances will hurt your credit score. As long as you don't have 5 or 6 cards open with zero balances, leaving a cc or 2 open while carrying a zero balance proves to a lender that you have the ability to manage credit and will reflect positively on your score. For example, my parents opened a credit card in my name when I was 10 years old to build my credit so that by the time I was responsible enough to have my own credit card, I would be blessed with a higher credit score and lower interest. They carried a zero balance on it the entire time and my credit score increased during that period of time.

Actually, Sobo is right.

And you parents essentially committed fraud.

Yes, ryland, you're entirely correct. I wasn't clear in my recommendation about closing accounts with $0 balances. I was putting it out there for Marie and others who do not have the benefit of extended credit experience/histories. It is good to have a couple accounts with $0 balances that are open. You have a "safety net" to fall back upon in an emergency. I have 2 such accounts (make sure that there are no "maintenance" fees that automatically get billed to the account that you might overlook paying in a timely manner) that provide about 3 months of gross salary coverage. But as you say, 5 or more such accounts is not good, as banks will look at you as if you're living off your credit cards and not within your means. It goes back to my earlier comment about Utilization/Obligation ratio.

And closing accounts and then opening new ones also doesn't look good for the debtor, either.