broken DMM 4CU trigger wire

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I repaired trigger wires on two of my Clog cams. The old swage fittings were quite easy to remove from the SS rods to which they were attached, using an ordinary pair of wire cutters oriented lengthwise to split the fitting in two. The original wire was apparently 3/64". The 1/16" wire I used and the swaging that goes with it are noticeably larger, but the clearance between the cam lobes is still sufficient for it to work properly. I had to enlarge the holes in the trigger bar using a drill. The inexpensive tool I used worked okay, but it is a bit of a pain. If I were planning on doing a lot of repairs, I'd spring for the $100+ hand tool.

Here's another source. They carry 3/64" wire in both 7x7 and 7/19:

Pacific Industrial Supply

Contractors' Equip & Supls-Dlrs & Service

2960 4th Ave S

Seattle, WA 98134 - 1915

(206) 682-2100

Edited by catbirdseat

• 5 months later...

I went to Pacific Industrial Supply on 4th Avenue South and bought an HIT brand hand swager that can do 1/32, 3/64, and 1/16 swages. It works by squeezing, like pliers, so it is much easier to use than my Nicro Fico tool, which requires wrenches. Cost was only $27.

The 3/64" sleeves cost only 12 cents at Pacific versus $1 each for the 1/16" ones I was using from West Marine. This tool is much easier to use for replacing trigger wires.

I did two wires in 10 minutes, then I did a complete tune-up on my cams. I cleaned and lubed them and straightened out kinks in the trigger rods. All set now for the climbing season, if it ever stops raining.