I almost made it to Muir

Iapetus999

Didn't have a very good 2nd attempt.

So many things went wrong that I wound up not making it back to Muir.

Where do I start?

Let's see...I'm 5 minutes away from Paradise...and I realize I forgot my poles. frown.gif

I have a little apeshit dance in the truck.

So I head back down the mountain to Summithaus. I had already rented some stinky boots from them. By the time I get back to Paradise it's 90 mins later and the lot is full. So

I have to park down the hill.

So finally I'm ready to go. As I'm walking up the trail I make the time to talk to some of the people along the way...which was fortunate (more about that later)

About an hour into it the instep of my left foot starts hurting. Something about the boot is rubbing it wrong.

I keep stopping to try to figure it out.

I threw in a gallon of water into my pack so I was carrying more weight than last time. This again turned out to be fortunate.

Every time I stop I consider turning back because of the pain in my foot. But I decide to press on.

At Pebble Creek I meet up with the people I had talked to. Turns out they are a group of Mountaineers. (Laura and Dwayne?) One of them gives me a moleskin smirk.gif but it doesn't help crazy.gif

It was a very warm day. There was no breeze at all and the sun was beating like crazy off the snow. I kept going.

I kept convincing myself to go on by saying "I'll turn around at the next ridge. I'll turn around after 500 more ft elevation."

Then I ran out of water. I had packed over a gallon in various containers and I used them all. So I had to unpack my whole pack to get to the gallon container that was at the bottom and refill everything.

Then I starting running into the other issue of the day: I didn't eat enough/bring enough food.

My plan was to leave Paradise around 10 and get to Muir 2:30-3.

I crested the final ridge and got a view of Muir. I tried to make it...but I finally hit a wall. Maybe not "The Wall" but I got all wobbly and was weaving around and had trouble even lifting my poles up. Muir was right there but I knew I was done. It was already 5:30.

So I decided to pack it in. But my crappy day wasn't over. As I got off the snowfield the footpad of my right foot started hurting. So now I could barely walk, having extreme abrasive pain in both feet. It was close to 9 before I got back to my truck.

Also after drinking close to 2 gallons of water I had to pee like every 15 mins on the way down. There were tourists everywhere and few convenient bushes to hide behind.

So here's this week's edition of "Lessons Learned"

1) DON'T RENT I may buy some good boots & ebay them after my summit

2) MAKE A LIST, CHECK IT 2x I had everything together...it was just a case of making sure it all got into the truck

3) EXTRA WATER=GOOD THING That extra gallon of water saved my ass...tho the Mountaineers were filtering water from Pebble creek so I maybe coulda done that too

4) GLACIER GLASSES YES They really helped

5) BRING MOLESKIN and use at the first sign of an issue

6) MO FOOD I need to eat more before, during, after. I lose a pound every hike & it's not just water weight

So for you doubters, here's a picture of me at Muir last week:

478178-me_at_muir.jpg

478178-me_at_muir.jpg.946ebb20b91ff12c5ae75c82050ec7d1.jpg

Edited by Iapetus999

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear it dude! Before you buys shiznit off of e-bay May I suggest you head to your local store, try on different boots, different sizes, etc...until you find the ones you like, are comfy, etc. THEN try and find them online for cheaper?? I'd hate for you to go out and buy blind and then end up miserable with your purchase!!

You might also check Mamot Mountain works over in Bellevue. As memory serves they've got a reasonable selection of used boots in varrying condition. (Possibly old rentals? I think the REI Repair shop sells their old rentlas reasonably cheap as well). Side note but was your foot pain a blister or more of an arch issue?

Oh, and don't just bring more food, force the food, and get yourself a belt pouch to thrown on your hip belt so it's handy. I don't know about anyone else but I've found that if I don't really force myself to eat I don't get anywhere near enough calories. Hydration bladders are great to. Between the two you can keep moving while eating and drinking a bit.

OR used to make velcro on water bottle pouchs that have a little draw string top, and will attach to any belt or strap that's less that about 2 inchs wide wink.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Mine normally holds a small tube of sunblock, chapstick, and a variety of food. You can really pack a lot in that little thing. Way easier than fussin' with the pack for those quick stops.

-kurt

Sorry to hear it dude! Before you buys shiznit off of e-bay May I suggest you head to your local store, try on different boots, different sizes, etc...until you find the ones you like, are comfy, etc. THEN try and find them online for cheaper??

Um, that's really uncool. If the salesperson is helpful and spends time with you, you should buck up the few extra $$ and buy them where you were helped, IMO.