TR: Index - headfirst whipper!

chucK

Date: 7/7/5

Place: Index Town Wall

Climbed at Index yesterday. One pitch we climbed was Gorilla My Dreams. The climb is virtually all lieback.

Just past the undercling section (3rd bolt?) my foot skated and I went flying. Went upside down.hellno3d.gif Was looking down past my feet up at the sky through the trees. Seemed to fall quite a ways (20 feet?). Braced myself for head cracking on the rock (I was wearing a helmet). No crack came. Hit nothing. Fairly soft/quick jolt to a stop. Hanging inverted. Phew!

Didn't even get my nuts scrunched in my notorious Alpine Bod Harness (maybe upside down falls are good sometimes!).

Figured out where the good foothold was and finished the pitch.

Gear Notes:

All bolts. However, a #4 Camalot can be used to bypass or protect the clip specified as difficult in various guidebooks. A #3 Camalot will work too, though a little lower, before the first bolt.

Also one could use a .5 or .75 or #5 to supplement the bolts near the top.

Probably not a good climb to try leading with a Soloist.

Approach Notes:

Gorilla My Dreams is on the Winky Dink Cliff which can be reach by hiking up from the top of the Great Northern Slab, or hiking over (left) from the top of Princely Ambitions.

You can access the Middle Wall via the top of Gorilla My Dreams.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a fall one time in CO where a block I was underclinging broke. I remember falling head first with the rock right next to me until the rope came tight and I slammed into the cliff. I was all bloody and shaking, but I managed to finish the pitch. cantfocus.gif