Peaceniks are spoiling the fodder

olyclimber

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a guy next door to me who was considering joining the army. He said to me "It's not going there to die for no reason and republican lies that scares me off, its just what the damn liberal media is saying about the war."

Yes, I am being very sarcastic...

Inhofe is an idiot.

If it's so fucking "important" for our nation at a "time like this for young people to serve"

maybe we could start with the children of every person in both houses that authorized this action. I mean if it's so important, then why aren't they encouraging their children to help?

If it's so fucking "important" for our nation at a "time like this for young people to serve"

maybe we could start with the children of every person in both houses that authorized this action. I mean if it's so important, then why aren't they encouraging their children to help?

You can't start down that road. If you expect that, then you might also expect our gov't to have to use the same health care system, transportation system, retirement system, etc that we use. When would it stop?

This letter to the editors in this weeks Economist is a classic:

SIR –

America must be careful not to let Iraq turn into another Vietnam and so help regenerate the lowliest scum of the human race that brought about the worst cultural period in American history. Hippie clothing (those long, trashy skirts) and peace signs are already making a comeback. God, please let it stay at that before I have enough and move to Europe.

Alan Raye

Jacksonville, Florida

I am struck but just how different this country is compared to the last unpopular war, Viet Nam. The Government didn't have the same Orwellian mind control powers that it now enjoys.

That was the last unpopular war? I didn't think the Gulf war went over to well.

And according to Orwell, he who controls the present, controls the past.

Therefore, the controlling faction has always had these powers. Maybe people just weren't as apathetic about showing their disgust. Or maybe it was because folks in the 60's weren't hardened to violence as we are. Thoughts?

Umm, get out of the PNW much? Bush 1 had an 89% approval rating at the start of Gulf War 1 - it stayed pretty much that high throughout the war. There was, in modern terms, overwhelming support throughout the US for the war. It was short enough that popularity didn't fall. Americans don't have the stomach for a protracted war.

Umm, get out of the PNW much? Bush 1 had an 89% approval rating at the start of Gulf War 1 - it stayed pretty much that high throughout the war. There was, in modern terms, overwhelming support throughout the US for the war. It was short enough that popularity didn't fall. Americans don't have the stomach for a protracted war.

Umm, that statistic shows support for Bush, not the war. And of course, people get super-nationalistic during war time. We circle the wagons.

Nonetheless, I hear people looking back now at the Gulf War with a totally different opinion than during the emotional heat of the war.

Americans don't even have the stomach for a short war when they see images of soldiers' corpses being dragged through the streets. I don't believe it is a bad thing to feel revulsion toward violence regardless of its duration.