[TR] The Tooth- South Face 6/20/2005

ania

Climb: The Tooth-South Face

Date of Climb: 6/20/2005

Trip Report:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/ania/Tooth2005/

For my very first climbing trip [of the year], we climbed the Tooth. The weather was marvellous. We were disappointed only in the dearth of other parties that day. Although we spent about four hours on the summit, the only other folks we saw all day were some far-away hikers (whom we saw from the summit) and a pair of climbers as we were rapelling down.

Amanda and I did have one question that we hoped a more experienced CascadeClimber might answer. How do you keep a picnic basket from snagging on rock and inhibiting your climbing, and what's the best way to securely attach it to a pack?

Gear Notes:

Gear Used:

New York Times

Champagne and champagne flutes

Watermelon

Bow Ties

ice pack

flowers and vase

radio

checkered picnic blanket

picnic basket

dress shoes for Gary

Gear Brought but Not Used:

The Stranger

Gear We Wished We Had:

chocolate truffles

dress shoes for the ladies

camera tripod

sun parasols

Approach Notes:

No snow on approach. The mosquitoes are starting to come out, but none were on the summit.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amanda and I did have one question that we hoped a more experienced CascadeClimber might answer. How do you keep a picnic basket from snagging on rock and inhibiting your climbing, and what's the best way to securely attach it to a pack?

Dearest Ania,

Yours is a timeless question, one for the ages. And the lovely folks at REI have a solution for this challenge, the Picnic at Ascot Deluxe!

373827.jpg

Hike into the perfect picnic place--this daypack is loaded with everything you could possibly want for a gourmet outdoor dining experience for four! And if you show your membership (membership has its privileges!), one of the green vested chaps will haul the bloody thing up the side of the mountain for you. You should be glowing from the beauty of the outdoors, not the coarse sweat of labor.

- Tom

the correct way to take your picnic basket is to have your butler carry it

Oh, how obviously right you are! I'm ashamed to admit this did not cross my mind. I'm sure the butlers get taught in butler school how to carry a picnic basket with grace and dignity.

PS: ania, I happened to note that you dispensed with the stiletto heels... what gives?

I realized atop the Tooth that this was indeed an error. Heels would have been not only more elegant but also more comfortable that walking on the rocks barefoot. We ladies have sensitive feet. I haven't been out much this year and my packing skills are apparently rusty.

Definitely in the top 5 TR's with the most style points in CC.com history

Thanks. smile.gif

the Picnic at Ascot Deluxe

That looks like a fabulous design! Will it fit a pie and a watermelon? I'll have to inquire about a deluxe edition with more volume for food.

TomTom,

That so-called "Picnic At Ascot" backpack has delusions of adequacy. What sort of heathen would defile their Champagne in a plastic cup? But of course, the same hillbilly who would eat pie on a plastic plate.

Though the average dolt proudly realizes that glass and ceramics are fragile, those of us who are civilized possess the poise and panache to enjoy and preserve such a luxury.