Save Big Bird (for real this time)

Camilo

There have been previous emails circulating about public broadcasting losing funding, but now it's really happening. I heard this story and only a small percentage of their funding comes from the gov't: link Edit: I just reread the thing at quite a bit more comes from the gov't, almost 20%. Apparently these cuts are partly due to conservative legislators pasting it "liberal media" and don't want the government funding negative publicity (i.e. the news) against the themselves. That's lame, and think of it what you will. I just don't want to hear more pledge drives. Anyways, just sign this petition. And tell your friends who like NPR or OPB or whatever the hell Washington has.

Sign me

Here's the Snopes link if you don't believe me.

Edited by Camilo

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. They got their money! Hopefully the new president and CEO (former republican co-chairman) doesn't politicize public broadcasting more than it is.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Big Bird and National Public Radio won a reprieve Thursday as the House restored $100 million that had been proposed as a budget cut for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

The 284-140 vote demonstrated the enduring political strength of public broadcasting, whose supporters rallied behind popular programs such as "Sesame Street," "Postcards From Buster" and "The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer."