SEWS East buttress direct

nalo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that there are no trad pitches that are tricky relative to the sport pitches, but arent there some trad pitches that are tricky relative to the other trad pitches? If not, I modify my original question, who wants to follow an inexperienced but strong climber up into the alpine unknown?

nalo, just kidding. The first real pitch, a long 5.9+ trad affair, is probably the toughest lead on the route. The very short 10a crack above the hanging belay after you turn the corner is just that: short. Good luck!

How you know all this? You've climbed the route, or just researched it extensively. And really, though, you can just french free through the bolted pitches if they're too hard... I'm not sure I can climb them either after climbing all the rock below them...

nalo, just a heads up the bolted sections are old bolt ladders, not sport pitches. there is a difference concerning clipping stances; they might not be ideal. enjoy the exposure coming around the prow of the buttress. a little more unsoliced beta: finding the start of the second bolt ladder I thought was a bit tricky. i went up directly and it was scary. i think there might be a or some bolts out right? anyway, enjoy.

Hey I'm all for beta, solicited or unsolicited.

Even better, maybe, would be for someone who knows what's up with the route to volunteer to be my partner... I'm pretty sure I would be fine, but I really don't want to have a crappy time or worse up there.