[TR] SEWS, Liberty Bell, and Le Petit Cheval- SW Buttress, Rapple Grapple, and Spontaneity Arete 5/29/2005

Blake

Climb: SEWS, Liberty Bell, and Le Petit Cheval-SW Buttress, Rapple Grapple, and Spontaneity Arete

Date of Climb: 5/29/2005

Trip Report:

Washington Pass Goodness

4427WA_Pass.JPG

I hooked up with MEC for a weekend of Alpine rock in the unseasonably snow-free Washington Pass area. We were originally going to do a few climbs on the Liberty Bell group one day, Spontaneity Arete (Kangaroo ridge) one day, and a Burgundy/Paisano link-up monday, but work obligations arose and cut our trip a day short.

SEWS - SW Buttress

I really enjoyed this climb, although I didn't lead either of the two wide crack pitches. We started just to the left of a prominent two-topped larch tree, and went straight up to the offwidth crack, it worked much better than traversing in from the right. boxing_smiley.gif4427offwidth.JPG

Blue skies and high temps had us climbing and summit-lounging in T-shirts for most of the afternoon.

After rapping down the gulley and retreiving our snaffle- chewed gear, we walked over to the Concord-LB gulley. Luckily the gulley was deserted on the way up, except for one scruffy old white-haired climber famous in the area. 4427goaty.JPG

We decided to try the "Rapple Grapple" route as something more challenging than the Beckey Route. Having little knowledge of the route other than it's proximity to the Becky Route, we were able to follow obvious cracks systems. 4427rapplegrapple.JPG

I'd definitely give this route a look if you are in the gulley already, and the Beckey Route is in use or you are looking for something a bit different.

Sunday we climbed the fairly new "Spontaneity Arete" route on the N. end of Kangaroo Ridge. (below Burgundy Col)

4427SPONTARETE.JPG

The trail leading to the base of the route is easy to follow, and whoever used about 400 yards worth of neon flagging tape to designate an obvious path through the wilderness can come find me to get it back, as long its before the next garbage pick up. The route has three really fun pitches, a good deal of 4th/low 5th, and would be a great way to introduce someone to alpine climbing or trad leading. Many of the crack systems eat up passive pro, and are solid hand/finger sizes. Highlights include a fun exposed headwall pitch 4427Headwall.JPG

and a nice 5.7 layback crack on the last pitch. If anyone has a nice picture of the North end of Kangaroo from the area, let me know.

We bootied two Nalgenes, three carabiners, and a spectra sling over the weekend. evils3d.gif

The oddest part of the weekend was a hardcore cyclist that Billygoat and I saw on Hwy 20 while leaving Mt. Erie Friday, MEC and and I saw FRiday evening east of Mt. Vernon, hellno3d.gif and then MEC and I saw again Sunday afternoon as he had just crested Washington Pass. hellno3d.gif

Gear Notes:

Big Cams for the SW Buttress, other than that, a standard alpine rack. Ice Axe and crampons are not needed, and it looks like you wouldn't need them to get to Burgundy either.

Approach Notes:

The approach to the Liberty Bell climbs is snow free most of the way. Gulleys and scree directly below spires have a foot or two of soft snow.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake;

Glad that you enjoyed the Spon. Arete.

Go ahead and toss all that ribbon. We can get more when we need it. Larry and I placed that there two years ago when the trail was much less distinct. We wanted to get the trail beaten in and well established so as to avoid the damage that comes from to many lost climbers trying to follow too many vague trails. We figured that someone would remove it when it became obvious where the approach trail was. Remember that we hacked that trail out of nothing and it was pretty rough when we first finished it. I am sure it looked ridiculouly over flagged when you went there but it was done with the best of intentions to minimize impatct. Thaks for removing what has become unnecessary now.

Scott thumbs_up.gif

Blake;

Glad that you enjoyed the Spon. Arete.

Go ahead and toss all that ribbon. We can get more when we need it. Larry and I placed that there two years ago when the trail was much less distinct. We wanted to get the trail beaten in and well established so as to avoid the damage that comes from to many lost climbers trying to follow too many vague trails. We figured that someone would remove it when it became obvious where the approach trail was. Remember that we hacked that trail out of nothing and it was pretty rough when we first finished it. I am sure it looked ridiculouly over flagged when you went there but it was done with the best of intentions to minimize impatct. Thaks for removing what has become unnecessary now.

Scott thumbs_up.gif

Directing people onto one path as opposed to many when an area first sees traffic is IMO one of the only legitimate uses for flags. (and even that can be argued either way). I'm glad that you agree that it should be gone. By the way, a bunch of the yellow tape from the trail down to the creek was forgotten balled up beneath a branch just past the crossing. The next person to cross the creek will be my hero if they grab it.

P.S. Scott, those fixed rope bits come in super handy, especially going back down. Ignore the BS that you got when you first mentioned them in the FA report.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did Le Petit Cheval on Sat, a great climb. I am impressed on the work to clean up the approach and climb. Nice work. Fun climb and very straight forward easy route finding. I ended up coming down the gully wishing I rapped the route..fairly slow moving unless your rolling..

I ended up coming down the gully wishing I rapped the route..fairly slow moving unless your rolling..

Three of us did it on Sunday, and felt that going down the gully was faster than rapping would have been. It only took us about 45 minutes to get back to the base of the route.

thumbs_up.gif for sure on the effort that went into making the approach and route user friendly.

1688spontaneity.jpg

• 1 month later...