National Geographic Topos? Anybody?

bunglehead

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the WA set of CD's and haven't bought a full size topo since. Just print out whatever I'd like. Goes through ink kind of fast, and if your doing navigation by compass sighting off distant peaks it may not be ideal, or you'll need to print out multiple resolutions. So.... good for hiking, good for relatively direct approachs, not so good for really long hikes or serious overland navigation.

Of course I didn't buy mine which helps smile.gif

I have the Washington ones and LOVE it. Use it all the time for mt. biking, hiking, and horseback riding trails. I typically print them out on legal size paper (fits a normal printer but longer) and it works perfectly. The maps can be as detailed, or non detailed as you want by zooming in and out before ya print. LOVE EM!

(as far as water proofing...I just slide in the simple plastic sheet protectors made for 3 ring binders). Simple, cheap and effective!

-M

Other printing options you might want to not overlook:

* The big document printers at Kinkos. Figure out how big the printer can handle, then save your custom map as a file and either FTP, email it or put the file on removable media and take it into your local Kinkos. Or just bring your laptop in and you can see if the size you are making can just be printed straight to one of their printers.

* National Geographic Maps markets something called "Adventure Paper" that is waterproof. Sort of a plastic-y "paper" that is durable for stuffing in a pack. Their promotional display features a printout sitting submerged under water (i. e. it works). Available in letter or legal size. Printable on both sides.

The maps CD sets are outstanding for planning trips. Many places are opened up for research which you never would have thought to go out and buy maps for. Computing geeks can connect your GPS to your computer for immediate display of your current location on the map, or easy transfer of GPS waypoints to or from your unit for a place you hope to go or a place you just have been.