Viesturs climbs all 14 8000s

dalius

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, like people claiming they climbed the Diamond by The Cattle (Casual) Route.

Like DFA wrote, somebody wants recognition for an actual ascent they ought to do it naked.

You wimps want fucking clothes, grow your hair long and braid it around your quivering body.

Doily-doodlin', doll-playin', "I want my Momma" cryin', motherfuckers!

Disgusting...

in one, the difficulty is physical; in the other, the dificulty is financial.

you must be trolling. in case you are not, maintaining the drive to summit 22 times above 8000m over 16years (which implies many more attempts) while facing the sheer physical and emotional misery of expedition climbing is simply mind-boggling. interestingly the article mentions he'll quit big peak chasing, which should be an indication of how much fun he had tagging the last few on his tick list.

Look, Everest was first summited in 1953, by some duffer in a tweed suit getting--how you say?--shortroped up the hill by a Sherpa. Whoever sent the first 5.14 sure as hell wasn't hauled up it with plenty of tension. Plus, Sir Ed Hillary couldn't campus his way out of a wet paper bag.

Actually, Sir Ed probably could campus his way out of a paper bag, and then some. His training in New Zealand before he climbed the big E included the first ascent of the South Ridge of Mt Cook - much of the route including the crux is rock and bloody chossy rock at that. Also, why do you think the Hillary Step is named after him - because he climbed it and without fixed ropes or other such crap. Good on yer to both Ed's!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

No, really, it just takes money to get up those mountains- K2, Kanchen. Haven't you heard? What's an objective hazard? Motivation? Suffering? Strategy, technique? None of this big mountain bunk can compare to redpointing a bolted pitch of 5.14. We all really know that.

Come on folks. Climb your own in your own style for your own reasons. And unless someone public is actually making a bs claim about their accomplishments or fucking with the rock or with others, what's it to you? Did Ed start this thread with some major boasting? No, it was just reported that he summitted Annapurna this time and had completed a publicly stated goal. This wouldn't be my ultimate goal in climbing, it may not even be Ed's but so what? I'll do my own thing. Who needs to waste time slandering these climbs? Especially while we're all sitting here on our asses now in front of a computer screen? Climbing is fun, it is varied, it is personal, we all value our own experiences with it. We should respect other's accomplishments too. No one says the world should bow down to Ed, or that he alone stands at the cutting edge of climbing today. But hell, it's a solid accomplishment. I say nice work completing it w/o O2- a huge difference and erring on the side of safety.

We should respect other's accomplishments too.

For some people an accomplishment is getting out of bed, for others climbing all 14-8000m peaks, for some the first free nude ascent of Mont Analogue. We're all free to value and recognize whatever we want.