Punta Arenas

sayjay

sayjay - the classic "paine" circuit will give you a good overview of most of the climbing areas, esp. if you leave the crowds behind an hike up into the valle de silencio. prepare to be amazed.

be aware that from p. arenas, you will have a couple of travel days unless you can get the bus schedules dialed in... in theory, you could get from PA to the trailhead all in one day - it's about 4 hours (by bus)to puerto natales, another 4 to the park entrance, then like an hour in a smaller bus to the trailhead, and it's hard to get it all coordinated w/o spending the night in natales. so you might want more than 7 days round trip from PA if you can swing it. Have fun!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucker!!! I say go before and after the business. You could take a ferry over the Strait of Magellan to Tierra del Fuego and climb some smaller less-technical glaciated peaks. Or go to Los Glaciares National Park and spend a few days hiking to basecamps of Cerro Fitzroy and Torre. Then spend a week in Torres del Paine National Park. You have to do the Circuit. If you do the zig-zag route, you miss out on the most spectacular valleys in the park. We did this hike counter-clockwise (highly rec. b/c of the ease of going over the pass from this side). E-mail me or PM me if you want more details. Definately take some time to really enjoy it. You can make it from Puerto Natales to Punta Arenas in a day by bus. Most hostels (people's homes in Natales) will set up bus pick up for Torres del Paine National Park. You can be hiking and to the first camp by the afternoon. Once done with the circuit, you can get transportation to Los Glaciares National Park (El Chalten). Bussing is very easy to do down there, especially during the peak of the their summer! If you go to Torres Del Paine and do not take the day hikes up Valle Frances and Valle Ascencio to the very top Miradors, then you are missing out on some of the most spectacluar and beautiful sceney in the World! Have a blast......Fucker!!!!

[ 11-21-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: ryland moore ]

Oh yeah, a bunch of hard-core Chilean climbers started a youth hostel in Puerto Natales called Concepto Indigo . They are big-wall mad men who climb all the time and even have a climbing wall. I met Steve Schneider there in 1999 after his solo ascent of the Central Tower and new route, Golazo 5.10+ A4+. Pretty chill place. Plus there are some nice multipitch climbs in the area that the guys could tell you about. Sit around, listen to stories of fierce Patagonian battles in the mountains and get drunk off of Gato Negro box wine. Good times! The fishing ain't too bad down there either. Sea run browns avg. 10-15 lbs. Fun on a 7 weight!

[ 11-21-2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: ryland moore ]

My wife and I did the Torres del Paine Circuit last April. It was incredible. A group of us went in on a minibus to get from Puerto Natales to the park and managed to get all the way to the camp just below the Torres lookout in one day

(arriving after dark). After witnessing a magnificent sunrise on the Torres the next morning, we did the circuit in the clockwise direction, spending a total of 9 days. We took every side trip and didn't rush things. I found going up the pass from that direction to be strenuous but I'd rather go up something like that than sustain the knee trauma it would take to get down it. Although you'll be there during the "climbing season" I wouldn't bet on getting up anything unless you have a long time to spend waiting out wind and rain. I agree with RM that just doing the "W" on the front side cheats you out of the less crowded and equally awesome parts of the trail. Don't miss the hike up Vale de Frances to the lookout.

We also hiked to the Rio Pingo area and spent 2 days day-hiking out from the Refugio Zapata. It was much more secluded than the circuit.

The best view of the entire area is from the Mirador Zapata in the late afternoon.

Be very cautious with your foodbag. The mice showed amazing ingenuity in getting into ours.

In Puerto Natales you can get some of the best seafood imaginable. Indulge fervently.

Believe it or not (I can't!) I just found out that my job is sending me to Punta Arena for a week-long meeting, Jan 20-25, with flexibility to travel and play in the area on the front or back end [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

I'm thinking I'll stick around en extra week or so.

I know there's probably 5 kajillion things to do in the area, including climbing all kinds of stuff in Patagonia that i've been dreaming about climbing but am not yet good enough to do, especially partnerless!

So what I'm looking for is advice on hikes, whatever, to do. Can I reasonably hike into some of the climbing areas in Torres del Paines even just to scout them out?

Anyone done specific hikes that they'd recommend?

This has all happened so fast I haven't had time to do any research so any info would be great...

[big Drink]

(no one out there is actually going to be down there at this time, are they???)

I second mneagle and jimmy leg. The penguin colony is cool and the mice are bad! Chewed a hole in my new Gregory Denali! It is best to just put you food in a plastic grovery bag and hang those from the small beech trees (sons of beeches hahahah!). The mice are very skilled at sliding down the rope you hang your food bag with. Who cares if they chew through a plastic bag or not, but it sucks when your stuff sacks or packs or even tents get chewed on. Safe travels. Oh yeah, the salmon at La Burbuha (restaurant) in Puerto Natales is excellent!Save it for after your circuit hike. If you really have time. I would definately reccommend taking the NAVIMAG boat through the fiors of S. Chile back to Puerto Mont. Amazing scenery and wildlife and you get to see a part of the world that very few ever have a chance to see. Plus it is cheap. Three days going north two going south. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...