Camp 6 Point Aluminum Crampons Questions

RichardKorry

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are these the ones with a blue plastic attachment system and have frontpoints that weight 1 pound? if so i've got em and give them a gold star. just make sure on hard steepish ice thatyour tennis shoes are wide enough in front cuz they wind up pushing through the front of the crampon causing LOTS o' pain and the fronpoint gets further and further back.

Do you already have a pair of strap-on crampons?

If you do, you can take the front half of them and rig them with light webbing and they serve the same purpose. I do this, works great, plus you get front points.

I can take a picture of how I do this if you would like.

This is flippin brilliant thumbs_up.gif

Here you go.

First, take the crampon apart.

3050Step_1-med.JPG

Then run a 20 inch(ish) length piece of webbing through the back part of the toe section.

3050step_2-med.JPG

Bring the webbing around both sides of the shoe to the top and tie a tight overhand knot.

3050step_3-med.JPG

Take one of the ends and run it through the toe piece attachment and take the other end and bring it around the back of your ankle. Make sure it's tight(you can also use a two ring tightener, works best) and tie the two ends together.

3050step_4-med.JPG

Great idea!

Does your strap system rub the achilies (sp?) tendon?

Seems like if it does, one could pass the webbing through that loop on the back of shoe to keep if off the leg and rub the shoe instead. (for low cut shoes)

What is a two ring tightener? Is it a two wraps before one ties a shoe sting knot?

Yes, I've used it. Works fine.

If you need it more secure you can give it two wraps.

You can also try a clove hitch instead of a shoestring knot.

The Camp crampon does the same thing to the back of your ankles if you wear tennies. If you want, you can even tie them off pretty much like the Camps.

crampons-camp-6pt-boot.jpg

There is really no way around it. Usually with tennis shoes I wear a full crampon because it gives more support. This method and the Camp's work better with hiking boots.

Neither are substitutes for a full pair. However, this trick I think is better than buying a pair of Camp 6-points. It does the same thing, has front points, is just as secure (depending on how you tie it, it may be even more secure) and it's .... free.

Do you already have a pair of strap-on crampons?

If you do, you can take the front half of them and rig them with light webbing and they serve the same purpose. I do this, works great, plus you get front points.

I can take a picture of how I do this if you would like.

This is flippin brilliant thumbs_up.gif

totally agree ... great idea Bill, thanks for sharing thumbs_up.gif