New eVENT Tent

darstog

New eVENT tent. I don't know how they're getting around the GE liscensing agreement, but Exped (N.A. distribution by OR) is importing an eVENT tent called the Polaris.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/exped_or/exped_tents/10421

Looks pretty freaking cool.

Around 5 lb. You can get it from mountain gear.

Now, the question is... do I regret buying my BD Firstlight and vestibule? The ultralight super-nerd in me? No. The gear-dork who wants the bomber waterproof setup? Yes.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently some companies still have a year left on their license agreement with eVent. See my post from a few weeks ago about another tent manufacturer using eVent. I later learned that it is just a prototype, but a pretty cool design anyway.

On the mtgear website it says the tent weighs 5lb 7oz minimum, 6lb 4oz packaged. Is Spokane the closest retail store carrying one of these?

eVENT seems to be really big in europe. A lot of companies over there use it in their jackets and pants. Does anyone know why U.S. companies are not really using it yet other than integral designs,F.F and any others i have missed? I have read a lot of really good reviews on the stuff and i am going to test out the integral designs coat tomorrow to see if it works as well as they say.

Darstog,

The BD Firstlight and the new OR eVent tent seems like two different types of tents. The Firstlight is listed at 2 lbs. 11 oz. (Epic fabric-"Highly water-resisant"), and the OR tent is eVent (more "waterproof??"), and much heavier.

I was thinking to purchase the Firstlight for lightweight trips, when the weather looks reasonable, but where I didn't need a bomber structure or super waterproof (if it was super wet, I'd turn back).

How do you like your FL?? Do you recommend it for the kinds of trips I'm thinking of using it for? Anything worth noting about the tent?

Thanks much for whatever info you can share.

Looks interesting, but at first glance, the product description seems contradictory and incomplete. Altrec (and other web sites) list the Polaris as a 3 season tent, yet the product description includes features normally defining a classic 4 season tent (ability to handle snow loads, wind resistance, waterproof, etc...).

http://www.altrec.com/shop/compare?mode=S&pid=19352

It also seems unusual that the tent's floor dimensions, peak height, and packed size aren't advertised.

Also, why isn't eVENT fabric being openly touted as a selling feature for this tent (the Exped site makes a brief reference to eVent)?

Something seems awry here, or maybe I'm too skeptical, or maybe I just hate pole sleeves crazy.gif.

Treknclime,

I'm sadly aware of the fact that the Epic tents and the eVENT tents are for fairly different circumstances. I bought the Firstlight just last week (haven't even seam-sealed it yet) and don't think I'll be getting it out anytime soon. I finish my master's thesis and my orals in June and then I'm heading off to city of rocks/sawtooths for a little trip, I'm thinking I'll use it for the first time then (hello afternoon thunderstorms-good idea, right?); maybe I'll post a TR and include tent performance somewhere in there. A friend of mine who's in product development was pretty sold on the epic tents, his belief being that the future of tents is in "softshell tents", with fabrics like epic that are lighter but not necessarily fully waterproof.

But I'm of a similar mind when it comes to "if it's that wet, I'm turning around."

darstog...thanks for the feedback, and will look forward to hearing 'bout your experiences with the Epic tent. A friend of mine used one for some 30 days in a pretty hostile place, and although I didn't hear from him directly about the tent, rumor was he liked it. May end up getting one sooner, rather than later.

Seam sealed...that's good news. Maybe is more waterproof than I'm thinking it is...

May bump into you at the city...planning on pretty much the same scenario. Best of luck with your studies.