Ever wished for an ATV?

luwayo

Feeling completely sacked from ski-crashing on Saturday I dragged myself out of bed yesterday at 10:30 and could only muster the energy to take the quad for a spin around Blue Mtn. I've been wondering for a while, which approaches one could benefit from riding up on a quad.

Which long routes have you trudged in a mind and foot numbing trance where an ATV could have served you better?

BTW: Telus had this awesome (moot) deal extended to family & friends for $30Cdn incl. lunch on Sat.; but it is still discounted to $38 until end of Apr., so get friendly with a Telus employee (of which I am not one). Whistler was culture shock for this b/c skier...tried new things, like the T-bar on the Horstman Glacier: observed that it is not exactly ideal to share with persons of 6'5" stature on the T-bar - unless you are close to 6'5" aswell smirk.gif.

Edited by luwayo

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis true, I know. I would become fat & lazy on an ATV. Lookit, I'm already getting out of bed at 10:30 on a weekend shocked.gif Eventually, the closest I'll come to climbing will be offering rides & carries to the self propelled (but only semi-sellouts) grin.gif

okay, okay. i smell ridicule. anyhow, the Unimog would likely sit (where else in Whalleyland) on my front lawn dismounted from its wheels, until i could find myself some strong oxen to haul it around in lieu of paying for petrol at $2/litre.

oh all right, i'll start the list:

habrich, if the gate was locked. that one's obvious;

chehalis climbs, if you didn't have a stout 4x4;

mamquam fsr, i'm guessing 'cuz i've never been past the layby for mulligan;

would it help access for pinecone?

i've never scouted decomissioned roads or difficult spurs up the ashlu or elaho...any possibilities up there?

Edited by luwayo

well, i'm not really into the quad for the pure fun of it Jedi - more for the lazy climber's approach wink.gif in BC the extra charming logistics of the vehicular approach are contending with erosion to logging roads, water bars sometimes big enough to trap a vehicle (*note to self: learn how to use winch), lightly choked with alder, and a smattering of rock slide debris, to name just a few.

Edited by luwayo

okay, okay. i smell ridicule. anyhow, the Unimog would likely sit (where else in Whalleyland) on my front lawn dismounted from its wheels, until i could find myself some strong oxen to haul it around in lieu of paying for petrol at $2/litre.

think of all the petrol you burn hauling your ATV to the end of the 4x4able road. just buy a sukuki samurai and put 33 inch swampers on it.

oh, the permutations crazy.gif

yes, i'd love a sukuki samurai! they go anywhere! but i have 2 big dogs remember? i'd never be able to cram zulu & aziwa in the back with 2 day packs for example. besides, i'm limited to how many vehicles i can keep on my front lawn. in order to get to the vehicle du jour, it requires moving half a dozen others....what is a millionaire climber to do? grin.gif

should i consult solfuego? wink.gif

Edited by luwayo

well, i'm not really into the quad for the pure fun of it Jedi - more for the lazy climber's approach wink.gif in BC the extra charming logistics of the vehicular approach are contending with erosion to logging roads, water bars sometimes big enough to trap a vehicle (*note to self: learn how to use winch), lightly choked with alder, and a smattering of rock slide debris, to name just a few.

Ahhh.. I see. I didn't think using it for approaching climbs. That would be kinda nice on logging roads