I saw the SCARIEST thing today!!

carolyn

Today I was at the gym getting ready to do one last lap and my partner taps me on the shoulder and points to the folks next to us. the guy about to climb TIED a figure eight into some loop on the BACK of his harness!!!!!!!

shocked.gifshocked.gifhellno3d.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Yes, for real!!!! It was a wild country harness.

We asked them about it before they started climbing and they told us that "Joe" said this was how to do it (Pat teaches classes at the gym). The woman insisted her friend standing next to her was on the climbing team and that is how she was told as well.

All I can say is Im sooooo grateful I was not witness to a fall....because he would of hit ground.

Of course when we mentioned it to the staff, we learned "Joe" never showed them to tie in this way.

Very scary!!!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is into one of the little teensy gear loops or something? Yikes!

Interestingly enough with the monstrous WISHA approved full-body 'Kondike Klod' harnesses that is where the law insists you tie in: to a monster D ring in the middle of your back. Totally retarded but they insist you'll die instantly from a snapped spine or slowly and horribly from suffocation if you tie in any other way to any other kind of harness. No amount of examples to the contrary from an old, fat veteran of years of swami belt use will convince them otherwise.

You do get a cool 'Peter Pan' effect when thus suspended and hanging freely. Once in a while a careless, unsuspecting soul will get to close to the monorail hoist in our fab shop while wearing such a harness. They quickly find themselves helplessly suspended and zinging back & forth along the rail.

Nobody makes that mistake twice...

o.k., maybe this one isn't scary. But WTF? I ran in the St. Pat's Dash today. About 50 yds from the start there is a frickin' cell phone laying on Mercer St. Some dickhead running back to get it. Throughout this 3.3 mile jaunt through Seatle I think I saw atleast a half dozen people in this run TALKING ON THEIR FUCKING CELL PHONES!!!!!

Next year, I'm wearing a sign on my back that says: HANG UP AND RUN!!!! madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Yesterday I was on Mt. Sefrit and we got ourselves onto a iced up deathslab before we put our harnesses on.

I was able to get the rope out, but all we could do (because we were in the middle of a death slab, was wrap the rope around our wrist (you had to be there, please don't judge, it was the only option.) My partner climbed up with no pro on a 5.6 iced up slab and hip belayed me will standing on a solitary handhold. The rock only provide mostly down sloping holds. We were in stiff boots to top it off. We would of fell a couple hundred feet. THAT, was scary!

Today I was at the gym getting ready to do one last lap and my partner taps me on the shoulder and points to the folks next to us. the guy about to climb TIED a figure eight into some loop on the BACK of his harness!!!!!!!

shocked.gifshocked.gifhellno3d.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Yes, for real!!!!

Very scary!!!!!

Scariest thing? Geek_em8.gifhahaha.gif Can we say Hyperbole?

Prepare to be very, very scared shocked.gif

Oh my god, predictable! blush.gif

But you know what, you sure are right Nodder. Geek_em8.gif