Scarpa T-1 vs T-2

jimmyo

Hey,

So I have 7-8 year old T2s, dark blue, 2 buckle. Need to upgrade. From a telemark tips thread, seems overwhelmingly in favor of T1 in my situation. I ride 2 yo Rossi Bandit XXX fairly aggressively, mix of lift, bc and ski mountaineer (glacier type stuff)

I have a good deal on a pair of new T2s in hand, whereas nobody seems to have T1s around. I also have some newer T2s rented for the weekend to try out.

Will the improvement to the new T2s (not the red T2x, the one b4 that) be so great that I should take the deal and run with it, or will the T1 be such a different game that I should wait, search and suck it up and pay full boat for the T1s, even if it means waiting till next season?

Thanks,

Jimmy O

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bentage.com has some T-1's available on sale ...don't know what size you need though.

i think it would be a tough call to decide what to do without actually demoing the t1 and t2. If you're still on 2 buckle t2's and driving something as wide as a bandit XXX then you probably don't need the additional support a t1 provides, but the question is, would you enjoy the additional support of the t1? and do you mind the extra weight of the t1's when ski mountaineering?

I've been on t1's for the past six years and have borrowed t2's just to try them out a few times...in good snow I didn't notice much of a difference, but but in bad snow (ice, mashed potatoes, crust) i was wishing i had my t1's.

I have the bumblebee T-1 from a few years back. They are beasts and weigh a ton (I use the old liners). A friend of mine switched to the new 3-buckle T-2 from his old T-1 and said he could not tell much of a difference.

Yes, touring will be a bitch, but a lot of very long, very hard trips have been done in T-1 boots. That T-2x looks like a shortened T-1 to me. At least the buckles appear to be the same. It could be sweet.

I think the T-1 looks cool, which is the number one priority (that, and I got 'em dirt cheap).

I went form driving Mega Bangs (basically a XXX) with the same boots, 2-buckle T-2s, to the bumblebee T1.

I have not looked back...

I don't mind the extra weight of the T1 for day trips, but I have not ditched the old T2 yet, as I think they are good for multi day stuff.

it's not the plane, but the pilot who flys it.

you pretty much need to make the decision for yourself based on experience.

i'm in the big boot camp (and I did have 1st gen. t2's after the leathers). the steering, the stability, blahblahblah, cruddy conditions, all feel better to me with big boots, which I feel are quite manageable on tours, too. are you an aggressive skier or more gentle, downhill or rolling terrain oriented?

it would be nice to have a quiver of boots, of course...

I don't mind the extra weight of the T1 for day trips, but I have not ditched the old T2 yet, as I think they are good for multi day stuff.

I did the same thing... upgraded to very snug T1s for inbounds and BC day trips, kept the comfy old T2s for longer tours.