Search and Rescue?

SneakySix

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty new to a mountain search & rescue team (more rescue than search) but so far I've found it to be an extremely rewarding experience. The people are great to work with, the training is fun and the missions are a real rush. It's an amazing feeling to know you're making a contribution to saving a person's life. Our organization is entirely volunteer so everyone's there because they want to be. At the very least, it gives me another excuse to get out into the mountains and sometimes I even get to ditch work to go play.

It's not all glamorous work - sometimes you're pounding miles of trail in the rain and recovering bodies is never fun - but it is important work and certainly more exciting than my average day pounding a keyboard in a box.

Plus, I'll probably never read to blind children or volunteer at the old folk's home, so this is a way I can do some community service in a field I really enjoy.

I'll echo barjor's comment about the political crap. Sometimes it can be almost overwhelming.

But then I'll also echo cluck's comments as well. I, too, will never read to blind children either, so mountain rescue is a niche where I'm reasonably good at something to which I can give back.

And note that Mountain Rescue is a sub-unit of the larger SAR organization. Decide where you want to function.

I think my post come out like I am bitter at SAR or something. Thats not the case I love doing it and I meet alot of fantastic people and I am helping out in the comunity while I am having fun. Bbut alot of people have this glorified idea about what it is and SAR will not make you score or make you into a hero in the press. Most likely you will be out 3 days in the rain just to find out that the person walked out 2 days ago and never told anyone. If you can get over that and learn to roll with the punches it is a wery rewarding thing to do.

Edited by barjor

you will gain mountain experiences along with all the political BS you stand. Don't let personalities stop you from starting though. you will learn and master basic skills like navagation, first aid and off trail hiking. who knows, you might even do something cool like save a life.

• 2 months later...

I've been with olympic mountain rescue for over a year now. Some thoughts before you join are: Will your work support you leaving for two or three days at a time, maybe 3 or 4 times a year? If yes, then go for it!

It seems if you are asking, then you already have the necessarry skills needed to join, but the training is great, and since everyone is a volunteer they all want to be there. Lets face it, if you try it out and decide either you like it or hate it, at least you won't have any regrets later about not having had a chance.

I greatly appreciate and respect those that volunteer their time to local SAR groups. From my limited understanding it seems to require a very significant time commitment that takes away from personal mountain time. Kudos to you for considering it, it is a huge, selfless form of public service.