[TR] Thar Peak- North Face Couloir 2/27/2005

Dru

Climb: Thar Peak-North Face Couloir

Date of Climb: 2/27/2005

Trip Report:

Saturday was sunny and warm, climbed in the Bluffs.

357merof-med.JPG

Saturday night, got home at midnight to find my ropegun was sick and our Cheam Range trip was off.

Woke up Sunday morning and decided to go investigate some gullies on the north face of Thar Peak at Coquihalla Pass. I wanted some of those good alpine conditions I had been vicariously reading about online, while it was still winter.

I walked across frozen Falls Lake and looked at the big face with all sorts of potential snow and mixed lines. Most of them looked pretty hard so I decided to solo the main easy gully. It went down smooth, with lingering aftertaste bigdrink.gifwink.gif A couple hundred meters of 35 to 40 degree windcrust and squeaky neve, a 60-70m length of 50 degree steeper stuff, and a 10m fun mixed chimney with turf, drytooling and thin ice, like 2 whole moves of each tongue.gif

at the final 50m there were two choices, left or right. I went right, it turns out the left goes straight to the summit while the right goes to a col 30m down west ridge. The left fork looked like it had steep mossy mixed to finish, good thing I didn't solo it, it will be fun to do with a rope and rack next time.

Photos out of order:

357nakyak-med.JPG

Nak and Yak from the summit ridge.

357lake-med.JPG

Frozen Falls Lake in the AM

357cairn-med.JPG

Summit cairn with Anderson R. peaks behind

357nfacecouloir-med.JPG

Looking up at face from the base. I ended up climbing the huge,mostly hidden, left angling gully. Lots more to do here.

357enlightment-med.JPG

Summit enlightenment. mushsmile.gif

357downgully-med.JPG

Looking down my crampon tracks from mid way up the gully

357cruxchim-med.JPG

Looking down the crux chimney.

I don't know if this was a first ascent or not. I have never heard of a previous ascent but wouldn't be surprised if one surfaces down the line. This is an excellent easy line, great to solo, slightly easier thasn N Face Ramp Harvey with a shorter approach, like 1 hour from the car.

Total climbing and approach time was 4 hours, descent down east ridge took ~1 hour, half an hour eating snacks and taking pictures on top. Fun fun smile.gifgrin.gif I forgot my sunglasses though, and my eyes are a bit sore.

Gear Notes:

Two tools (could have got by with 1)

Crampons

Helmet

Should have brought sunglasses.

Approach Notes:

1 km packed snowmobile trail, 1 km packed foot trail, 1 km frozen lake.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic