shaped skins, straight skins ???

natazoo

This year, I've switched from snowshoes/board to tele. I have shaped skis (Rossi Big Bangs) and was thinking of buying 85mm skins and just trimming them a little in the middle. I will have extra (unskinned) space on the tip and tail. Is this a bad idea??? Does it really matter???

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With shaped skis, you will have a problem doing anything but skinning straight uphill on a hard pack or, worse, an icy snow surface -- unless you have custom trimmed skins that fit the entire ski. However, you'll be able to live with it unless you are out with a bunch of guys who DO have the correct fitted skins. Do your bindings accept ski crampons? I've never used them, but I bet they'd be just the thing for an icy snow surface.

Just some advice: have a second person standing by with a vacuum hose as you trim/re-trim your skins, or at least vacuum them well before you peel 'em off each time. My BCA skins gave off a lot of fiber/dust as I cut and I contaminated the glue when I pulled the fuckers off to reposition them.madgo_ron.gif I'm not sure if all brands are this flakey....or if I was just bone-headed. hellno3d.gif