What did you do today?

ken4ord

Today consisted of two conference calls that were each two hours long, discussing the in's and out's (no pun intend) of STD's and testing of STD's. Eww!! We talked about everything from HIV, gonnorehea, syphilus, BV, yeast infections and more. Ugh, made me not want to have sex for a longtime. On top of it all (again no pun intended) I had a fever and the shits.

For those of you in the science field or who have ever worked in a laboratory, you are going to love these photos. This is what I have to work with turning this place into a GCP and GLP compliant lab by June. confused.gifcantfocus.gifcrazy.gif

3794email_pictures_001-med.jpg

3794email_pictures_002-med.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Minx I thought you would enjoy those pictures of the future lab. Your one of the few people out there that has a clue on how difficult that may be to set up.

Went to the border of Tanzania and Rwanda this last week. Found a beautiful limestone (I think) cliff. Didn't get on it yet, but trying to figure out when we will have the time for it, maybe July, Pictures to come sometime this week.

There is one of those squatters over in Singapore that I used that I wouldn't even squat over.

I feel bad, but dang, Westerners....if it's not a hole in the dirt, please, give me a seat with a ring and stuff. I guess Singapore isn't as clean as it was when I went there.

I guess at least it was only pee and well......

Nice view out the ironwork there Ken! smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The lab is starting to come along. We just got most of our lab equipment the other day. It came in 4 large crates on a flat bed truck. One of the smaller crates was a full size -80 freezer. All of the crates were off loaded by hand, 20 guys grouped around them including myself, everybody shouting at each other, it was a crazy scene. We had to take a saw and cut the gate to the back part of the lab to get the behemoth in. Later that afternoon they welded the gate back in place before I could tell them to leave it so that we can get the other equipment in. The other three crates were loaded into a carport under the garage. They almost took up the whole two car garage.

The lab itself is getting painted right now. I will hopefully start placing some of the equipment in the lab next week.

I am working on the budget for the electrical work, what a pain. Because of the electrical situation is so unreliable here, we need to setup our own power system to continuously have power to our freezers and incubator.

Last week we had interviews going on. The last guy we had an interview with a guy who was so nervous, I felt bad for him. He was sitting there, and you see the sweat beading on his forehead, it eventually started to drip off his face. One of the nurses that has been part of the interview process got up. I thought she was going to take a call on her cell, but instead she came back with tissues for the guy, he was happy and we all laughed.

I'll post some more pics soon.

It has been quite a wild experience. Last weekend I went out for a 3.5 hour mountain bike ride, it was awesome (sorry left the camera behind). This weekend Uganda to Lake Bushara.

• 1 month later...

Alright here is the latest in the lab project that I am involved with. We pretty much got the construction done, now we just need to get some juice flowing through the line.

Da former shitter now it is going to be our autoclave room.

3794Lab_2_001-med.jpg

This here is where we are going to set up our micrscopes and do gram staining.

3794Lab_2_002-med.jpg

And this room is where we are going to do our ELISA's and centrifuging, behind the door in the middle is a store room.

3794Lab_2_003-med.jpg

It has been a pretty cool experience so far, still have a ton of work to do. I think we might actually be able to turn this place into a laboratory.

I here you all finally got some snow. Hopefully in July I'll go where there is snow and ice. I am either going to climb Killi or go get on some South African ice.

• 1 year later...

So I forgot to update long time ago, but here is what it looks like now that we have our study up and running. When these pictures he had not started our study. Now we are about halfway through and getting ready for our next study.

This is what started out as a toilet.

3794LAB3001-med.JPG

And here is the lab that used to be all dark and dank with holes in the wall.

3794LAB3002-med.JPG