Colville area beta

EWolfe

I am planning a three day trip out to the Pend-Oreille area next week with my GF, and am curious about climbing/bouldering in the area.

I have never been to the NE portion of the state, and perusing the gazeteer, found some interesting stuff:

Manresa Grotto: Glacially formed above ground cave, altars, spectacular views. Used for ceremony

Devils Well: Perfectly round pond, depth unknown

Gardner Cave: 2nd longest limestone cave in WA

Roosevelt Grove of Ancient Cedars

Any help would be appreciated!

Erik

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the sun is out and you don't mind grabbing a few seeping holds (or maybe none at all) China Bend is your best bet for climbing. Its a south facing convex solar collector that gets too hot sometimes in march. But that all depends on the sun and you will freeze with out it.

Manressa grotto is mostly in the trees but there are some good boulder problems here, just not a lot. The rock is conglomerate and cool to climb on but could be cold.

Devils well: I think you need a boat? Ive only been in a boat but its just a big round cylinder full of water.

Garderner cave is closed for the winter I belive. If you go check out the Arena at Metaline falls. It too gets hot with the sun and is climbable in winter, but without you'll freeze.

Ancient grove of cedars is probably snowed in I think, not postive.

Good luck

the other place is Laclede, which is about 2 miles west of the town Laclede (12 miles from sandpoint), right off Hwy 2. there is a highway roadcut that crosses part of the cliffband, it's pretty obvious. routes up to 90'. check out the old Randall Green "idaho rock" guide if you can find a copy. mainly 5.8-10's with a couple harder routes.

Marty's book on the inland NW has more up to date info on Laclede. Don't know if you already took your trip but you could be climbing in LaClede right now (sunny and it's southfacing). I'd be over there right now but I'm working (well, appearing to work).

The Manressa Grotto has some really good bouldering, needs more development but plenty of FA's await for someone with the patience to clean them. But there's enough there to justify pulling over and dealing with the 2 second approach. Conveniently located between Laclede and the Metaline areas too.

Marty's info on the other areas is spot on, Roosevelt Cedars would require a 4WD, if at all possible.