skate skiing

thelawgoddess

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody been lately? where's good? grin.gif

actually, i need to take my first lesson ever - anybody got any recommendations for where/who?

Leavenworth last night at the Hatchery by headlight was great, followed by dinner and bluegrass at O'Gradys. This weekend should be really good too (there is a race at the golf course so I would pick the Fish Hatchery). Last week they had demo skis and free lessons - you missed out.

The best skating in WA right now is in the Methow - 200 k of groom. If you can get a lesson from Sally or Don Portman at Sun Mtn do so - they are simply the best.

i thought leavenworth would be a great place but i'm not sure i want to drive there for a day trip, especially with my car (who seems to be hating driving up hills anymore). but maybe i'll have do it anyway. i know i don't *need* a lesson, but i think it's a good idea.

how far of a drive is the methow from seattle really? (like from uw?)

Law, after futzing around with ski skating for about 10 years now, averaging once or twice a week most weeks (we skate each thursday night) I learned more in a one hour lesson from Portman than in 10 years screwing around by myself. Of course the first thing he had to do was break all my bad habits. Of course you don't need a lesson.

The Methow is an easy 2 hour drive from Wenatchee. Wenatchee is a 2-1/2 hour drive from the U. Your milage may vary. Check it out

http://www.mvsta.com/

TLG,

Just wanted to suggest that you can learn a whole bunch by a few pointers and the "monkey-see-monkey-do" method. Lessons would be nice later when you have the time and some basics down.

It so happens that at Cabin Creek (exit 63 on I-90) this Sunday is a ski race, the Gunnar Hagen 30K. However, it not a skating race, it is a classic/diagonal stride race. This should make no difference to your plans to learn to skate ski.

The point is this ...

Even tho there is a race at 10am and it may seem hectic, the entire course is still open to the public. There is a wide skating platform that does not interfere with the classic tracks where you could practice skate technique. It is a flat to very gentle road that is about 4 - 5 kms out and back.

Before, during and after the race (noon-ish), people will be switching over to skating and you will get to see endless examples of very good technique. thumbs_up.gif

I will be up there helping with the race (probably answering pre-race questions and directing traffic). I would be glad to take a bit of time and show you some basics anytime after about 9:30 - 10:00.

If you are interested, PM me and I will help you make some connections.

-Mark

PS - I agree with Freeman that Don P. is a great teacher and the Methow is a super place to ski, and the best snow at this time. Long drive though ...

It would be worth it.

We drive up from Wenatchee, ski 30k or so, have a brewski at Twisp and can be home at a reasonable hour. Probably will do so tomorrow.

Also consider the Steven Nordic Center. I haven't skied there yet this year but I think its been pretty good. Skating up the Main Line to the ski area is a good workout and great technique training, and the trip back down is mega glide!

Conditions have been remarkably good at 11'worth considering the lack of snow. Last weekend was moderately crowded because they ony had the Hatchery open, now the Ski Hill and Golf Course are also open. Ski Hill is rolly polly and good training, as I said there is a race at the Golf Course. Last night was cold, clear, fast and Orion looked down at us. There were no cougars out, but many fireflies in the forest.

sounds like it might be time to get a new car, TLG. (um, that is.. IF you want to go skiing, climbing, etc.) yellaf.gif

this is true. i was thinking about that this weekend. but i figured it's better to have gear and no car than a car and no gear. cantfocus.gif so i bought a pair of dynafit comforts this weekend. (OUCH!) not that i'll be using them any time soon around here, but they were on sale. evils3d.gif i couldn't get my act together this weekend to get up skate skiing. i still need poles anyway, but i'm hoping i will still have a chance to get out and do it later this season.

anybody go check out the race?

I skated last night at 11'worth (Fish Hatchery). Conditions were very good - tilled and groomed, 32-33 F, fast spring conditions. Absolutely terrible off the track, but great in the skate lane (classic would probably be ok too).

Surreal moonlight night with ground fog, could ski without headlight, then barely see the snow with it.

The valley has been in an inversion all week so while temps were 50 on the pass they have been 24 to 32 in Wenatchee (my driveway was WI5). If it stays this way skiing should be good throught the weekend - they will work the snow to keep it skiable.

Don't know about the Ski Hill or Golf Course, the coverage was a little less to start with and they close the golf course as soon as it threatens the greens.

But, SKATE SKIING IS STILL OK!

I guess on their web site they call the Fish Hatchery the Icicle River Trail. It is at the entrance to the Sleeping Lady conference center. About 8 K pretty flat. The Ski Hill is 5 or 7 K and is hilly - good training and a great workout but a lot harder for an intermediate skier, and the Golf Course is about 10 K and rolly. The Waterfront trail connects the Golf Course to town (Blackbird Island).

One of my buddies who was skiing last night said it was like skating down hill the entire lap. They skied with their lights off so the cougars couldn't see them.

With the present forcast I think it is going to remain good thru the weekend. Come get it while you can.

I guess on their web site they call the Fish Hatchery the Icicle River Trail. It is at the entrance to the Sleeping Lady conference center. About 8 K pretty flat. The Ski Hill is 5 or 7 K and is hilly - good training and a great workout but a lot harder for an intermediate skier, and the Golf Course is about 10 K and rolly. The Waterfront trail connects the Golf Course to town (Blackbird Island).

One of my buddies who was skiing last night said it was like skating down hill the entire lap. They skied with their lights off so the cougars couldn't see them.

With the present forcast I think it is going to remain good thru the weekend. Come get it while you can.

Yea, 60 deg and rain. rolleyes.gif