Reglueing Skins

TheOldHouseMan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use an iron and a paper grocery bag to remove the old glue. Cut a strip off the bag, lay it on the skin, and iron it until the glue starts to soak through. Then remove and throw away the strip. Repeat as needed. Do this outside.

After removing most of the old glue, apply new glue. I've been using Black Diamond glue lately and it seems pretty good. A piece of disposable plastic used as a squeegee speeds up the application process if you're using the kind of glue that comes in a can.

I've also gone back to storing the skins with those plastic sheet separators that they come with. (I don't bother with them during tours.) I think this may extend the life of the glue and prevent it from globbing.

Never done it but from most reports I've heard the time, energy, and mess involved are more painful than forking over the cash to have it done at a shop.

It took me a couple of hours + some grocery bags & a $10 container of skin glue. Cheap, but I like those projects.

Lowells tip on the bags is good, I cut them to skin width strips, then ending up placing a waxing iron turned low for 5-10 secs. Seemed to get most of the goop off. This was probably the most time consuming part. Applying the glue was easy. Brush on, let dry. Brush on another coat.

As a bonus, all steps go quite well with beer.

I think it is much easier to get your skin glue off with a torch than an iron. Hang your skins up so they lie flat against a post in your basement or better yet outdoors, and use a propane torch to heat the glue while scraping it off with a broad knife. Work, from the top down, and scrape off the old junk into a single grocery bag.

You have to be slightly careful not to burn your skins, but it is not at all difficult to do a clean job of cleaning your skins in no more than fifteen minutes.