FRS / GMRS Radio Lisence

selkirk

I just got a pair of handheld radios for christmas (you know, the annoying little thing for people who can't yell over the wind and water in the Icicle?) That can access both the FRS and GMRS bands. I was looking at getting the license for the GMRS use and realized they're $75 bones a piece madgo_ron.gif and they have to be renewed every 5 years. At $150 for the initial license that's more expensive than the damn radios! Seems like an ripoff for a little thing that has a maximum range of 5 miles that will only see use climbing multipitch stuff.

So my question is.. is there anyway to get around this? Does anyone just use the FRS bands? Just not pay the license? Has anyone been nailed by the FCC for not paying the license fee?

freakin government monkeys madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just use the FRS frequencies. Like Alex sez, while it might be nice to have the longer range capability for emergencies, I don't find the cost justifiable.

They also come in handy for ice climbing, too, when the waterfall isn't completely frozen up yet.

The 2 mile range deal is just a marketing number. They can work over 85 miles in the right conditions. Other times you won't be able to hear your partner 100 yards away. They are line of sight UHF radios, and that's what really matters. FRS is going to be just fine.

No, black helicopters will not descend on you if you don't pay your GMRS license. If you broadcast enough on there some crackpot hams can triangulate your location, but otherwise it is next to impossible to enforce.

You are still breaking the law. I wouldn't bother using the GMRS freqs unless you are finding FRS to be inadequate. All GMRS allows is a bump up in wattage. All the wattage in the world is not going to help you if you have a cliff in between you and your partner though. Just for comparision, many satellite transmissions use similar wattages to send back signals to the planet. That's a long ways away.