New eyes!

Bug

On Dec 23 I had PRK done to both eyes at Coal Harbor Eye Clinic in Vancouver BC. It was quick, half the price of any local place and my vision is now 20/20 in both eyes and will not be at 100% for six months. The pain factor was like having a hair under my contact for the first three days. I highly recommend them.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to lump all the answers into one response since I still have trouble focusing for long periods (eyes, this is not drug related).

It costs $1990 Canuks plus transpo and lodging. I had a willing companion who drove me home and appreciated the nice room at the Marriot next door to the Coal Creek center. the room was $129 Canuks and I needed it for 2 nights.

I had PRK instead of Lasik because my corneas are very thin. They have to leave a minimum 350 microns of base cornea and Lasik starts by peeling back the top 150. Lasik then reshapes the under portion and re-attached the flap. With PRK they numbed my eyes with drops, held my lids open with clamps, put rings on the work area and removed the epiphilium (eyeball skin) with alcohol. Then I had to stare at a red dot straight above while the laser zapped me. The right eye took about ten minutes and the left eye took about 4 or 5. Then they put a contac lens on the eye to replace the epiphilium until it grows back. That took me four days but I didn't use any of the pain killer drops. They slow down the healing and the pain really wasn't bad. From that point on I was able to see 20/20 if I focused and had rested my eyes immediately before. My reading ability is coming back a little slower but still seems perfect when I am rested. Driving or reading or any consistent use was out of the question. So I became a willing subject to the whims of my companion. She had a lot of good ideas.