Beacon route?

Haydar

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was Jim Opdyke's new roommate and he just had a head of steam up and got a bit ahead of himself after Jim talking so much about what a great route it is. He is new to Beacon and I suspect the experience will temper such scenarios in the future. Beacon has seen a lot of solos over the years, but the bottom line remains that a lot of stuff out there is loose and can/does come off on you.

Case in point last Saturday: I've done YW a bunch of times and it is pretty much a romp for me at this point, but right off the p3 belay I laid of what I thought was my usual flake, but it wasn't (confused by the cold) - and this one exploded into a large mass of shards that along with me went raining down on Jim who fortunately was off to the left a bit. Probably because of the cold day, but for whatever reason, I happen to place a Metolius #2 just above the belay which I normally don't do, which turned out to have been a wise move this time.

So yes, someone did do it (and he is a nice guy), he didn't really know where he were going, wasn't familiar with the rock, and by their own account they almost died - so take it for what it's worth.

Some guy free-soloed it while we were there a month or so ago (onsight except for some general info from us). He said he did get off route and almost killed himself. He drove in on a motorcycle. I'm sure some here know him. Nice guy.

watch out for that guy...he is a shady character. hahaha.gif

used to sport a nice blue mohawk! pitty.gif