Where to take a newbie in PDX?

Blake

It looks like we have about a week of warm dry weather ahead, bad for skiing and water next summer, good for rock climbing now. If i want to take a gym-climber friend of mine and go do some sport or trad in the portland area that isn't too tough, where would you recommend? Any online maps of these places? (i'm trying to avoid paying for a book i'll use a couple times) Just from checking out the route info on RC.com I'd say that the left hanging Gardens Wall @ Broughton's is the best place, any thoughts?

P.S. to the moderators: move this to Newbies or Oregon boards if you want.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you heard about the weather being dry but there are a few places where you can climb out of the weather too. The classic crack area at Broughton will stay dry even in the rain as it is overhung but beware that "easy 5.9" crack around there. Rocky butte is the easiest access but if the weather is truly going to be good you should head up to Beacon and do the SE corner.

I would second that recommendation for Beacon rock, as it is far better than what is available in the metro area in my opinion. However, if it is the first time outdoors for someone you might be limited in what you can climb there. The SE corner is a fine choice and a beautiful introduction to outdoor multi-pitch climbing. Little Wing is another fine crack right next to it too.