Washington ski history at the Mountaineers Banquet, Oct 11

Lowell_Skoog

My contact at The Mountaineers says it's okay to publicize this outside the club. I'll be presenting an updated version of my talk on Northwest ski mountaineering history at the Mountaineers annual banquet:

Friday, October 11, 7:00pm

(Social hour 5:30 pm)

The Mountaineers

300 Third Ave West

Seattle, Washington

Tickets: $25 each, call 206-284-6310

I call my program "The Snowy Range: The Story of Ski Mountaineering in Washington." It outlines 100 years of ski mountaineering in the state, from 1909 to the present. I'll talk about skiing on Mt Rainier during WWI, pioneering ascents of all the major peaks, the Silver Skis races of the 1930s, the WWII mountain troops, the post-war boom in downhill skiing and wilderness preservation, the telemark revival, and the modern development of high ski traverses and steep skiing. The program is illustrated with many slides and I will show a movie filmed in 1939.

For more about Washington ski mountaineering history see:

http://alpenglow.org/ski-history

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i imagine you get dinner for your $, it is a banquet. like a lot of banquets, the idea is to raise money for the organization involved, so it costs more than an equivalent meal in a restaurant. if past experience is any guide, the bar will be "no host" (i.e. you're on your own for booze).

It's a banquet! They feed you. This is the club's big annual event, and I understand some people even dress up for it.

No, you don't have to be a member. I've refrained from publicizing the event before this, because my understanding was that club members should get the first shot at tickets. But I was told it was okay to spread the word farther, so if you want to go, give 'em a call.

No, Fred's not in the film. The film shows the first summit ski traverse of Mt Baker in May 1939 by Dwight Watson, Andy Hennig and Erick Larson. It's great to see those guys in motion using the old gear. It makes you really appreciate what we have today.

[ 10-02-2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Lowell Skoog ]

You heard right. That film was AWESOME. The whole talk was fantastic when Lowell presented it last Spring, and there were many old "cascade legends" in attendance. Mingle a little and you can get the real scoop on Mount Index or Willis Wall or something.