Ice Suggestions for Weekend - Alpine or Crags?

TrogdortheBurninator

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SEWS is not going to be in. With the recent snowfall we have had you will have trouble finding anything that is not burried, and anything that is steep enough to not be burried will likley not be in. YOu may want to have a look around Snoqualmie, but I would guess you are just going to be tramping around in the snow. I think you need to wait a couple more weeks.

there was some WI forming along the roadcuts at WA Pass a couple weeks ago. they might be good to go now considering the recent temps. Everything else up there (SEWS, etc) was an unconsolidated wallowfest or didn't have enough snow/ice to make it intersting on 11/19. Banks Lake won't be in either. like alasdair said, give it a couple weeks and pray for cold temps.

NE Buttress on Chair *might* be in. I have climbed it with very little snow on it and had a nice time. Be prepared for some rock, I mean 'mixed' climbing. Cascade Pass is probably good right now, I hear West Face/Ridge of Mixup Peak is a nice route.

"well covered" with light powder snow. I would give it a while. The reality is you wont find any water ice this early, its been too warm. AFA alpine ice, I think the best bet this early would be something like that stuff on Hood that the Oregon folks have been doing, or serac'ing on the Coleman etc.

Alex

"well covered" with light powder snow. I would give it a while. The reality is you wont find any water ice this early, its been too warm. AFA alpine ice, I think the best bet this early would be something like that stuff on Hood that the Oregon folks have been doing, or serac'ing on the Coleman etc.

Alex

oh yeah have fun digging through the three feet of wet slush on the Coleman right now in order to find ice for anchors!