Careno Crag Access

telemarker

Two weeks ago a friend and I noticed a new road had been plowed out, almost directly behind the prow bouldering area. This road also plowed out the Careno Crag trail, which could possibly affect access to the crag via the established trail. Maybe, maybe not, we'll see. The hell with the underground lab, how about uncontrolled growth in the Icicle?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

telemarker

its uncontrolled development at its worse.These people could care less about climbing in the icicle,its regualtions,or codes for building.They probably don't have

20 acres,won't be screened from the road,and won't have 250' setbacks from other property lines or from rainbow creek.It maybe will even used for nightly rentals.The county won't give any information over the phone.Its really to bad people have to be so greedy.This particular

character will lie at all cost.

• 2 weeks later...

careno crag access up date.

Apparently the clown trying to build at bolt rock hired a

geologist for a site accessment.The geologist called it a

hazzardous site and the clown has now abandon the site.He started the road with the intention of building below

rainbow falls.Now he is going to try and build on the

other side of the road from bolt rock.He has no room

for setbacks and/or screening from the road.This clown

needs to be shut down before he lies and destroys more.

Edited by fatswaller

No.,he has no ethics.His next plan is to build between

icicle rd.,the leavenworth water district bldg.,and the

access road down to the snow creek bridge just across from

bolt rock.Although I have not seen it,he put up a sign that

reads no climbing.His new site has no room from set backs.

There will be an icicle review board hearing on this.I

recommend all people concerned about this be in attendence.

I will try to keep every one up dated.

to play the devil's advocate: where would YOU like him to build on his PRIVATE property?

1. near our access to careno crag, a top-rope problem and some fine bouldering?

2. with variances, closer to icicle road and, unfortunately, closer to icicle creek. you must be joking when you object to variances to road setbacks in this area. and if you live up the icicle, you don't have a fucking leg to stand on.

ultimately, we likely will all have to find a new trail to careno crag and likely have to give up a bouldering area (ala rat creek boulder). thank the desire for economic growth for that. how many degrees of separation obsolve you?

Clearly the guy should built an environmentally friendly passive solar house encompassing the boulder itself! Talk about thermal mass! the boulder could be the centerpice of a truly great great room. Imagine: you could have all the problems wired in the comfort of your own living room. Talk about "route development!" And hey, if he's not into climbing, a skilled mason/miner could make a wicked efficient russian style stove out of that boulder. It could keep a house warm for a month! I can see it now, Bolt Rock Bed and Breakfast. Quiche and coffee while you work that wicked problem on the north side. Worst case scenario you fall onto the wraparound overstuffed couch. No spotter necessary, 'cept for holdin your croissant and latte. I like this dude's gumption!

Actually I do have two legs to stand on,you just can't see them because my gut hangs down to my knee caps.As far as I

know the icicle overlay still applies to this area.If he

conforms to that he can get a building permit.If not,no

permit.Just because he owns it does not guarantee he can

get a permit.There has been a couple of cases where the

owners could not get a permit due to not conforming to the

codes.There will be several hearings and alot of hoops to

jump though.It helps if your honest with these jurisdictions.If not,things can be difficult for the owner.

This particular clown definitely needs to be watched.See

ya'll at the hearings.

Yes, I know the Icicle is liberally sprinkled with private property; and

Yes, I know property owners have rights, but

The Icicle is one of the best examples I can think of of how to fuck up a really cool place.

I hardly go there anymore; it's that depressing.

Fats's idiot neighbor aside, what's so depressing? A few houses scattered about? for the most part they aren't that distasteful and not super visible. Many would argue the road, not the houses, is what truly messed it up. (Sure would change our access) The Icicle is still a really cool really beautiful place, it could be way worse... certainly not worth abandoning.

Now what is depressing is the crater they want to drill in the side of Cashmere, that would really fuck things up. At least the people that live in the Icicle proper are making an effort to stop that.

bigdrink.gif

Basically what's depressing is that virtually every house and No Trespassing sign upstream of the Island Ranch is at some place where I once back in the day freely climbed, camped, hung out, partied, got hammered, got laid, or some such thing. Now those places are various persons little pieces of heaven: no riffraff allowed. The worst are the developments at Rat Creek and 8-Mile.

In a more perfect world there would have been no private development above the mouth of the canyon.

Widening the Icicle Creek road above Snow Creek didn't help; the Mountaineer Creek road didn't help, and you're right, the monster tunnel sure isn't going to help.

• 2 months later...

To concerned climbers.

There will be a hearing about this development on March 24,

05 at 7:00 in Council Chambers at Leavenworth City Hall.

It would appear that the bulldozing and fill at and around

the Careno Access area was just a ploy to get a variance

so he could build on the river.It would be great to get

the climbers to attend this hearing.Its plain to see that

if we don't take some action the Icicle will be lost to

these un-scrupulous developers

Yes, I know the Icicle is liberally sprinkled with private property; and

Yes, I know property owners have rights, but

The Icicle is one of the best examples I can think of of how to fuck up a really cool place.

I hardly go there anymore; it's that depressing.

Fats's idiot neighbor aside, what's so depressing? A few houses scattered about? for the most part they aren't that distasteful and not super visible. Many would argue the road, not the houses, is what truly messed it up. (Sure would change our access) The Icicle is still a really cool really beautiful place, it could be way worse... certainly not worth abandoning.

Now what is depressing is the crater they want to drill in the side of Cashmere, that would really fuck things up. At least the people that live in the Icicle proper are making an effort to stop that.

bigdrink.gif

MisterMo, you have summarized my feelings precisely. The canyon is nothing like it once was. The houses, the bolts, the '94 fire (started by one of the pilgrims who lives out there), the restrictions on camping, the guide books.....basically, everything I hate about the "progress" of man has transformed something magical into another commercialized hole.

• 3 weeks later...

MisterMo, you have summarized my feelings precisely. The canyon is nothing like it once was. The houses, the bolts, the '94 fire (started by one of the pilgrims who lives out there), the restrictions on camping, the guide books.....basically, everything I hate about the "progress" of man has transformed something magical into another commercialized hole.

Damn if I don't 100% agree with you. BTW, something similar to this happened to me elsewhere and the solution was to buy a place at the area. Before I did that I was starting to mental about it. The houses suck bad, however, as much as I radically hated seeing them coming, buying one, which I was soooooo opposed to having any there, did assuage the hurt somewhat.

"They paved paradise, put up a parking lot". Joni Mitchell

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone go to the meeting on March 24? What is the current situation? I was at the bolt rock area yesterday - the sign was still up and the road was still there, but nothing else going on. Between this and the Fridge rock/Sam Hill area, access is going fast.

• 2 weeks later...