TR Middle Sister 11/20/2004

jlag

No viable partner so decided to solo the North ridge and hopefully get some decent turns on the Hayden. Started hiking at 5am, a skiff of powder on Pole Creek trail. Patchy in spots, couldn't start skinning until above the Chambers Lakes climbers turn off. Skinned up the Hayden, on wind blown powder, other aspects very icy. Met LetsRoll and chatted with him a bit. Wind really started to pick up, was rocking the IPOD so didn't hear the blasts until they almost knocked me over. Ditched the boards at the top of the Hayden. Traversed to the upper saddle, crampons were essential due the hard rime all over the ridge. Staying on the ridge meant dealing with 40-50 mph gusts blasting ice in your face so I traversed right onto steeper ground. Basically just shot up this ice gully(blue ice in spots) and self belayed when the train sound started. Got within a couple hundred feet of the summit when the big gusts started. Got blown off my feet twice waiting for gaps in wind blasts. Spindrift coming off the summit was incredible, thought i was hallucinating. Downclimbing was interesting, no second tool and very icy. Strapped on the split board and got a killer powder run down skiers left side of the Hayden. Most of the crevasses were filled in, stay out of the middle of the glacier. Rode down to tree line, could of kept riding but too early for core shots in the split board. Very sunny,windy cold day. Got back to the car at 2. Easy access, powder turns.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic