Cars- winter driving tips

Jens

With ice season fast approaching and a car being "gear",

What are some of your favorite snow/ice/ offroad, etc. driving tips that are not the standard common knowledge tips?

___

And subsequently, I just bought an automatic transimssion rig after drving 5 speeds most of my life. Any unusual auto tranny snow driving tips? -How to more easily rock the vehicle back in forth out of a snow bank, how to better keep steady rpms, unusual times when to use the "3" '2" and "1" instead of "drive"? Anything else? Please kick in your two cents.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have rock chips in your windshield, go easy on the defroster when it's really cold outside. Otherwise you will have a nice rainbow crack all across the glass propagating from the chips.

Stay at least 100m away from ANY Escalade or Land Rover.

Saturate lock cores with WD-40. Carry something with you to de-ice cores.

Kick packed snow out of wheels before it sets up overnight if you have been x-countrying in your 4wd.

I spend 6 mos/yr driving on snow/ice. If you live where it gets really cold:

Switch to 5W-30 when the high temps are only hitting 30F and lows below 0F. With the 4-EAT automatic in a Suby, a tranny pan heater (in addition to your block heater, oil pan heater, and batt blanket/or trickly charger) is essential if you want it to shift past 2nd gear anytime before the 6th mile of the drive. A regular AWD Legacy Wagon with 100lb of sandbag in the cargo area is the single best slick/icy/snowy road vehicle I've driven. Way better than any SUV unless you are off road or in deep snow or something.

Delfating the tires will increase surface area and possibly get you out of a stuck spot.

Put a come-a-long strap winch, a shovel, and 100lb of kitty liter or sand or something in trunk. Keep a sleeping bag, some bars, a canister stove, lighter and water in the car all winter.

Oh yeah, stop watching the aurora and look out for MOOSE!!